Found a Stihl 031 AV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

08brute

Sep 30, 2009
South Dakota
Hey guys,

I found my grandpas old Stihl 031AV last night while searching for something else. The bar and chain are solid rust but the engine is not locked up. It has to be 25 - 30 years old and probably hasnt been run in 20. I looked in the cylinder and it looks like it has some nasty buildup on the top of the pistion. I started tearing into it and I had to cut the muffler in half to get the metal shards that once was the baffle out of it.

Do you think it would be worth trying to get it going? Was this a good saw in its day? What is the cc of this saw?

Does anyone know how to remove that electic chain brake that sits on the bolt that holds the bar on?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Even if it wasnt worth 10 cents to anybody else, it was your grandpa's, so how much is it worth to you to see it run again?

59 cc saw

If I understand a small bit of Stihl naming convention I believe this is the same saw as today's MS310. Great saw, in my humble opinion, since I use one.

I'd spend $50 to get that saw running in a heartbeat. Would be a great backup, extra, or maybe even a full time user....

stee6043 said:
If I understand a small bit of Stihl naming convention I believe this is the same saw as today's MS310. Great saw, in my humble opinion, since I use one.

I'd spend $50 to get that saw running in a heartbeat. Would be a great backup, extra, or maybe even a full time user....

yep 310

08brute said:
Hey guys,

I found my grandpas old Stihl 031AV last night while searching for something else. The bar and chain are solid rust but the engine is not locked up. It has to be 25 - 30 years old and probably hasnt been run in 20. I looked in the cylinder and it looks like it has some nasty buildup on the top of the pistion. I started tearing into it and I had to cut the muffler in half to get the metal shards that once was the baffle out of it.

Do you think it would be worth trying to get it going? Was this a good saw in its day? What is the cc of this saw?

Does anyone know how to remove that electic chain brake that sits on the bolt that holds the bar on?

Thanks in advance for the help!

If it's 25-30 years old it's a good saw. Stihl didn't used to make "home owner" grade saws. Is it "worth" getting running? That's up to you and how much is really wrong with it.

PINEBURNER said:
Even if it wasnt worth 10 cents to anybody else, it was your grandpa's, so how much is it worth to you to see it run again?

Good point! It is the saw my dad almost lost his leg with and the saw my grandpa used to clean out the grove before building his home.

I will dig into it a bit firther and see what it will take to get running. I will let you guys know how it turns out!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.