Found a use for the cone finally

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
Electric logs. Solves the clearances issue!

Attachments

• P1200952.JPG
    P1200952.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 262
Electric logs. Solves the clearances issue!
So where does the stack terminate? I'm curious whether you tried to make it look more realistic by routing the stovepipe to the wall or ceiling.

I always liked the look of these things. I was thinking one might make a nice outside heater for our deck.

It is only the first section of pipe at the moment. The ceiling has an angle (old porch) so it would be a bit of work to make it look like it was actually going into the ceiling. I'd post another pic but something is buggy-it says the file is empty.

We originally wanted to use it on the porch as a wood burner, but the clearances and building material (panelized aluminum) made it pretty impossible. So it was going to be a firepit, but it's in such good shape (very minor rust), it seemed a real shame to put it outside. We also thought about vent free logs but I can only handle one VF in the house. I was also thinking about some sort of candle thing but the electric logs also have a heater and fit the 70's style so...electric log set. Easy to install lol.

Hi, I hope nobody minds me dropping into the forum just for this, but I picked up a cone of my own recently hoping to install it in a covered porch we're soon building. I assumed we'd have some serious hurdles to getting it done to code. Like you, I figured it could be an outdoor firepit as a last resort.

Would you mind summing up what it would have taken to get it burning wood on your porch?

Was it just that the clearance would have taken up too much space? Looking at some of the manuals for the new Malm fireplaces, those could sit as close as a foot or two from the walls. I haven't been able to ID mine though and I'm guessing it's not an existing manufacturer.

Thanks!

l63LeTm.jpg

Ours has a plate on the back with the make/model and clearances. If I recall correctly the clearance from the rear was 24" and that out it way too far out into our room. We bought it from the original owners that had it installed in a living room in their cottage. They took it out for more space, so I assume it was installed per clearances there (it was in the garage by the time we saw it so I don't know for certain). It came with the interior (8") pipe but not the connectors or outside pieces-they capped it and left them because it was easier/cheaper than removing and repairing the ceiling and roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.