Found an Avalon in stock - just wondering about the install costs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rubyjliamf

Oct 6, 2008
Easton, MD
Getting some price quotes now:

Avalon Spokane 1750

Stove $1,399.00 (black with legs)
Materials $585.95 (18' cathedral ceiling - to 3' above roofline)
Labor $700.00
Tax $119.34
Total: $2,804.29

They are saying they can do it in early Dec. We were figuring out cost savings and trying to estimate how this might effect our NG usage. Last year from Nov. 15-March15 we spent $800 on NG to heat 2000 sq. ft. house (including hot water heater) so I am not sure about this big initial investment and how well its going to help us save $. We live in Maryland, a somewhat mild climate but we love the idea of heating with wood and its plentiful around here. (We have a free cord in the backyard already). Our electric bills in the summer (central air - its in the 90s here in the summer) are what's killing us but we thought we could save some in the winter with this setup. I'd love to know your feedback/opinion about this setup/plan and stove. Thanks for such a great forum!

Your heating bills don't seem that high. Unless NG prices have dramatically increased in your area, it may take a while to amortize the cost of the stove and installation. But, once it's done, it's done. If you have a ready supply of free wood and don't mind the labor involved in cutting, splitting, stacking, toting, etc., then have at it.

I live across the bay from you around Manassas, VA and since I collect Chesapeake Bay duck decoys I am familiar with Easton. There is a cold wind or two over there in the winter for sure. That Avalon is a quality stove and the prices all seem in line. Truth be known natural gas is probably going to be a good heating value this winter but that stove and setup will let you turn a little labor into enjoyable heat. For many years to come. Good choice of stove and the prices are not going to get any lower for the stove or the install. Ever.

Do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.