FP30 Fan Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike M.

Feeling the Heat
Mar 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
After a complete chimney sweep today I decided to go ahead and tear into the bottom of the FP30 firebox. Upon removal of the bottom plate I disconnected the factory snap disk thermostat. It has annoyed me since day one. The 2 squirrel cage blowers in there are larger than I expected. Replaced the bottom plate with a generous amount of fire stop sealant. Should have taken a few pics but was in a hurry. If any questions let me know. This unit seems to be growing in popularity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Having the thermostat is pretty nice. It's good for turning off the blower after the fire has died down. If the switch was not performing as desired then some options are a) replace it with one that has a lower close temp or b) install a bypass switch for those times when the desire is to run it manually. But first make sure that the snap disk is in firm contact with the firebox body. That is often the reason for a slow or insensitive thermostat.

The larger blowers allow the fans to move more air while running a bit slower. This helps it be quieter.

Hm.... I'm wondering what the issue was with this. I have this stove's little brother, and mine seems to function as it should. Or at least, it does after I fixed the wiring when I first fired it up

The issue I experienced was that the blower fan seemed to dump cool air on the thermostat causing it to cycle on and off frequently. It would cycle a lot on start up and cool down. I don't like motors starting and stopping all the time, and it's annoying. Plus for the many occasions you just need a quick fire to take the chill out, now I don't need a 700 degree stove to get the fan to run continuously. I understand that this is designed to burn hot and clean and achieve 2ndary burn temps before the fan runs. I like having the control of the fan and monitoring my own temperature. Also prefer the fan runs and the heat is outputting at the stove body above the door and not at the gravity vents in the wall.

Also note this was my second chimney sweep with the unit and had barley nothing in the pipe.

The short cycling might have been an issue with the snap switch not being in firm contact with the bottom of the firebox. It should not be short cycling.

Could have been it. I never actually saw the physical disk while working on the unit. The thermostat wires disappear into a box under the stove on the back side. Not the easiest location to try and get at. My unit is the series A model, possibly a solution was implemented in series B units. It's almost 80 degrees this week so no burning for us...(not complaining, winter here is plenty long!)

After a complete chimney sweep today I decided to go ahead and tear into the bottom of the FP30 firebox. Upon removal of the bottom plate I disconnected the factory snap disk thermostat. It has annoyed me since day one. The 2 squirrel cage blowers in there are larger than I expected. Replaced the bottom plate with a generous amount of fire stop sealant. Should have taken a few pics but was in a hurry. If any questions let me know. This unit seems to be growing in popularity.

What do you mean by firestop sealant and where did you put it?

Have you ever worked on this model? The stove has a bolted in plate under the floor firebrick. The bolted plate is sealed with fire stop caulking - high temperature. The bolted plate gives access to the fans when removed. The fire stop caulking seals the plate upon reassembly.

Have you ever worked on this model? The stove has a bolted in plate under the floor firebrick. The bolted plate is sealed with fire stop caulking - high temperature. The bolted plate gives access to the fans when removed. The fire stop caulking seals the plate upon reassembly.

Ok high temp silicone is ok. When people say they used firestop sealant i get worried they used firestop foam which is very flammable. The silicone is combustible as well but at a higher temp it should be fine under the bricks.