FPX-33 Elite - fan not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TresK3

Jul 12, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Here in Cincinnati it has FINALLY cooled off enough to crank up the new insert. And it seems there's a problem...

I burned two small fires shortly after the stove was installed, to begin breaking it in, but it was really too hot outside (90+) to build anything very big. The fan never kicked on during either of those fires, but I assumed that the stove just didn't get hot enough (the manual says over 140o, the thermometer never did read that high). Last night we tried for our first "real" fire - 3 or 4 good sized splits - and the fan still didn't start. I had the thermometer on the front, just above the doors (which were cracked open a bit too keep the gasket from sticking until the paint cures) and it read up around 250-300o. I checked the outlet and had juice flowing. I called the dealer today and they said try again with another large fire. Apparently several people last year called with the same problem and just didn't have a big enough fire. If the fan still doesn't turn on, they'll send someone out.

Any thoughts on what else I should check? For other people with this insert, when does your fan typically kick on?

Also, where should I place the thermometer? On the door? Above the door? Somewhere else?

TIA
-Tres

TresK3-is there a door switch in your insert?

Don't think there's a door switch. I didn't see anything in the manual and neither the dealer nor installer mentioned one. Good idea, though.

If no door switch then perhaps you have a thermostatically-controlled blower?These thermostats can be tested with a torch;when heated sufficiently,it should energize the blower.

TresK,
Recheck for that door switch, I think it should be located at the bottom of the insert where the right door will close onto it. I will recheck mine and let you know but the fan shuts down as soon as your open the door. Also my fan will not kick on until I have a fire going for about a hour, you make up for that hour after the fire goes out and the fan stays on for about that same period.

My understanding is that fan IS thermostatically controlled. I didn't know about a door switch - I'll check for one when I get home tonight. I hope that's all it is. We did have a good fire going for at least an hour, so it *should* have been hot enough, long enough. I'll let you know what I find tonight.

Thanks, all

Your rheostat"fan speed switch" could also be suspect.Is it accessible so as to temporarily "jumper" the switch,then see if the blower starts?

Tk There is no door switch if it dosent start up on your next you would have to
pull the insert out about 3 inches and check that the wiring plugs on the switch did not pull
apart as for the thermometer take off the front face plate and put on the top left or right top
of fire box and you can see it though the grill.The second year i did have a problem with
the switch.When i took it apart i found that one of the power wires that are conected to
the circut board broke off i just re sodered it.

The dealer/installer was out today. Seems that the fan was not correctly wired when it came from Travis. A simple fix, once he was convinced there was a problem.

Thanks for all the help.

Glad to hear it was a simple fix......you should get much more useable heat from it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.