FPX 36 Elite Air Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner73

Jul 22, 2008
NY
Went to make a fire tonight. Put some of those resin sticks in (smoke a ton). Smoe started pouring into my room (with the door closed). Was coming from the top of the FPX (near theair control lever).

I took a lighter and ran it around the perimeter of the unit. No flicker or change anywhere until I got to the top (Space between the blower and the door). It pulled the flame in like a hoover vacuum. This is with the cat disengaged and the air control lever all the way left. I closed the cat lever and closed off air control and saw a significant decrease in the draft but still evident.

So my conclusion is this unit uses air from inside the home for air control????? I though combustion air was from the outside only? My CO alarm has never gone off but shouldn't I worry about this???? In adition, I can't help but think this is pulling the precious heat it is working so hard to produce and sending it right up the stack like a std fireplace.Any thought or similar experiences? Can anyone with this unit confirm the same behavior? Aren't stoves (jotul etc) totally sealed?

TIA

It sounds like you might have a draft problem. Without a proper draft, the smoke will take the easiest path which could be into your house, so you might try opening a window to equalize in/outside pressure and lighting some paper in the stove to create a draft b4 starting the main fire. Do a search on this site for draft issues. I had similar problems and found a lot of usefule tips with detailed explanations of the science behind this concept.

This is extremely important to resolve. Most of the folks on this site like to hear about your chimney setup (outside air kit, etc.) to help determine your problem.

Draft is fine once I "enable" it. Small newpaper lit or something to that effect. Gets going asap. Only notice when Very cold out. More concerned about how this unit funtions and why there is a pathway into the home for air with the door closed and sealed?

Does your fireplace have a chimney adapter, and was it sealed with hi-temp silicone on the install? It seems very strange that smoke would be escaping from an air-tight fireplace...

Burner73 said:
Went to make a fire tonight. Put some of those resin sticks in (smoke a ton). Smoe started pouring into my room (with the door closed). Was coming from the top of the FPX (near theair control lever).

I took a lighter and ran it around the perimeter of the unit. No flicker or change anywhere until I got to the top (Space between the blower and the door). It pulled the flame in like a hoover vacuum. This is with the cat disengaged and the air control lever all the way left. I closed the cat lever and closed off air control and saw a significant decrease in the draft but still evident.

So my conclusion is this unit uses air from inside the home for air control????? I though combustion air was from the outside only? My CO alarm has never gone off but shouldn't I worry about this???? In adition, I can't help but think this is pulling the precious heat it is working so hard to produce and sending it right up the stack like a std fireplace.Any thought or similar experiences? Can anyone with this unit confirm the same behavior? Aren't stoves (jotul etc) totally sealed?

TIA

I have this unit with chimney in an outside chase that is 20' plus, My unit will smoke the same way on startup unless I prime the chimney with some heat. I use an alcohol in 2 sterno cans to prime with. I have learned to live with this because of the chimney configuration, maybe some day opening it up and adding insulation.
My thoughts on air control is the airwash comes from inside the home and the combustion air is from outside. I think this is why getting a long burn time is difficult.
I will try the lighter on mine and see how that works.

I just put in the same unit in August. I had this issue at first. Opening a window in the room before openiing the fireplace doors stopped the draft from reversing. The air intake control for thr FPX is on the top the unit where the heated air from the blower enters the room. I thought the same as you at first. It looks to me that the unit uses indoor air until the blower kicks on. When the blower comes on, the outside air is blown over the intake, so it will be used instead of inside air. By the way, this thing throws a lot of heat. I'm still playing with getting long burn times. I've hit 8-9 hrs a few times, but mostly 6-7 hrs.

I've got the same unit and had the same issue this past fall when I first lit it. Opening a window before opening the fireplace doors stopped the draft from reversing. I thought the same as you ar first about the air useage. The air intake is at the top of the unit where the heated air from the blower enters the room. I think it uses indoor air until the blower kicks on, and then it would be the outside air from the blower.

As a followup-

I met with my dealer on this. They told combustion air does come form the outside and down the front by the air control. and although it seems like it is from inside it is not.

I half on board with this. Need to test out a few more things. IMHO no stove should use any internal air for combustion.

As far as heat output...holy &#*$

Heats 2500SQ FT (2) Floor no problem.

I am trying to figure out best placement of wood for long burn times etc. I pulled the grate and have been putting the wood right on the floor. I use some kindling (burnable grate) for starts.

Have not been able to keep going for long periods of time. 4-6 Hours is about it for useable house warming heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.