FPX 36 or 44?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Hay

Dec 20, 2013
Texas
Hi, I am trying to decide on a fireplace for my cabin. I am expanding and remodeling such that the finished living space will be less than 1200 sqft and the new insulation will be that expanding foam, so the sturcure will be fairly air tight. The fireplace will be in the new living area which itself is about 450 sqft floor space with 10 foot walls and added vaulted ceiling. The fireplace will be centered on a 16 foot wide wall and the stone around the fireplace will go up the 10 wall and the additional 8 feet or so up to the vaulted ceiling pinnacle.
I like the 44 as it will have the Artisan face and double doors.....so it will look good when not fired. after all, in Texas, most of the time it is just a fixture.

In Texas, I will most likely use the fireplace less than 14 days a year and I am really not that concerned about the heat output, but more so the asthetics...I like a true woodburning fireplace. I have been told because of the air tightness of the structure, that a conventional fireplace that pulls air from the living space will not operate very well...smoke in the house and such. So the FPX has been recommeded as it pulls air from the outside and is pretty much self contained when the doors are closed.

So my question is, as I know the 44 is way oversized for the space, but with all the controls, will the 44 burn ok? Even turning down the controls for minimum heat blowing in the room?

Thanks in advance for the comments.....

Used that much I can't see that it would matter. The one control you always have is how much wood you put in it. You can always open a window or 2 if need be.

You would save some money by going with the 36, even it will overpower that space! I prefer the single door, its easier to use and will require less maintenance than the double doors.

the 44 is a beast but if your goin for mainly looks that would be my choice with the single door[artisan of coarse].if the heat is overpowering you can just open the bypass letting most of the heat escape up the flue.I think its the best looking fireplace with that face out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.