FPX large flush hybrid insert cruising mode .What is your set up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I was experimenting with my new insert and had no luck with keeping my glass clean. Bought " best firewood around " using craiglist . Needless to say its hardly less than 25% if I'm lucky. Just ordered 4 tons of Bio Bricks and looking for relible source of firewood. Was experimenting with some bricks and fire wood mixes. Had couple nice fires with secondaries and cat converter glowing. Couple hours later still got black glass. I understand it's related to wood most likely. Or may be it's me shutting air too soon or else. What is your routine with bypass and air intake ?

I like to get a good blaze going, pull air control out fully, and then bump it back in a touch. Biggest things I have found regrading keeping glass lean is dry wood, and keeping the fire hot. Don't cut back on air until its good and hot. If it does smoke up a bit kicking the air and heat back up cleans it up pretty quick. Having really dry wood I believe is key for this stove, keeps glass cleaner, puts out more heat, is easier to get good burn, and burns last longer.

Dmitry I don't know where in ct you live but pallet plus on john Downey drive in new Britain sell chunks of wood left from pallets making all stacked and surround wrapped $70 a skid.

I'm 30 -40 min from New Britain, Thank you for the info . How big is a skid ? Did you use wood like that ? How big those chunks? Thank you.

I didn't because I have wood for free. Sizes are mostly 2x4 chunks. There is a please in Cheshire on old school road that does the same thing. But they sell it loose. I cannot rember exact price there. Also in new britain on newington ave right pass twin city plaza they sell fire wood on skids surround wrapped, I don't know their prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.