FPX- Large Hybrid - new steel cat, new flame deflector and questions on how to make cat survive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
I finally put my new steel cat in about 10 days ago. The previous cat was ceramic and destroyed. There were massive holes in it and I kept it that way because I was going to burn some dead fall and less than great wood. Once that supply was all gone, I put in the new cat and put in this flame deflector, which another member inspired with his similar set up. The flame deflector is supposed to help decrease the amount of flames that will make contact with the cat. It is easily removable in seconds.

Here are the questions:
1. Why did FPX change this insert to get rid of the cat?
2. How do I make this thing last?
3. Is there a technique to decrease build up of coals? I think if I keep the stove backed down and cat temps at 900-1100, after a while the coal bed gets too high. I then need to run the stove with more air, but less wood to burn that down. Any other technique?

I am burning dry seasoned wood, disengaging cat for a few minutes before reloading, not reloading for 1 piece, waiting to need to add a few pieces so that I am not opening the door and shocking the cat and keeping cat temps at a max of 1150.

Part of me wonders if they got rid of the cat on this stove because it can go through cats if not very careful.

BTW, this thing really heats nicely with a functioning cat.:)

Thanks.

FPX flame guard 1.jpg FPX flame guard 2.jpg

Last edited:
I switched from ceramic as well, and now I'm going on season 8 with steel cat and still working great. I think getting it warmed up slowly and ready has been key, I keep the door cracked and bypass 1/2 open for 20-30 minutes before closing and engaging. Then it glows orange and blasts the heat.

I finally put my new steel cat in about 10 days ago. The previous cat was ceramic and destroyed. There were massive holes in it and I kept it that way because I was going to burn some dead fall and less than great wood. Once that supply was all gone, I put in the new cat and put in this flame deflector, which another member inspired with his similar set up. The flame deflector is supposed to help decrease the amount of flames that will make contact with the cat. It is easily removable in seconds.

Here are the questions:
3. Is there a technique to decrease build up of coals? I think if I keep the stove backed down and cat temps at 900-1100, after a while the coal bed gets too high. I then need to run the stove with more air, but less wood to burn that down. Any other technique?

I am burning dry seasoned wood, disengaging cat for a few minutes before reloading, not reloading for 1 piece, waiting to need to add a few pieces so that I am not opening the door and shocking the cat and keeping cat temps at a max of 1150.

Part of me wonders if they got rid of the cat on this stove because it can go through cats if not very careful.

Thanks.

View attachment 272871 View attachment 272872
How did you attached the gasket so it was tight without any sag in it? I just picked up a steel cat as well.

Here are the questions:

Thanks.

View attachment 272871 View attachment 272872
I'm curious about the flame deflector. I was getting 8 to 10 hour burns. 10pm load reload 6 to 7am. Nice bed of coals.