FPX zero clear clearance elite 44- is this the answer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
I have a 525ft rec room that is above a garage that is absolutely frigid. The rest of upstairs is 64 degrees and the rec room is 57. The rec room got all the way down to 49 degrees the other day. The rec room is an in between level that is above the garage. The house is about 3900sqft. I am using a FPX large hybrid insert downstairs to heat and some oil that is used by a hydro air heating system. I don't use the oil often. The problem is that the rec room is not a separate zone. I have gotten different ideas how to fix the problem. I have looked into radiant, adding a modine heater in the garage, adding a damper in the upstairs air handler to make a separate zone for the rec room, baseboard heat (which I'm not nuts about) or adding a zero clearance fireplace.
Any thoughts on my situation? Any thoughts on the FPX elite 44?

My first concern would be hauling wood upstairs. Unless this room walks out on grade in the back?

Yes, that is a concern. I would have to bring the would up 6 steps. It is then another 4 steps to the top level. So, I'd have to bag the wood and carry it up 6 steps ash would have to be carried out the same way. Unlike my FPX insert, which is right near a door to outside. I have no clue what to do yet. The room is WAY too cold.

It may be a hassle but the first thing I'd consider tackling is seriously beefing up the sealing and insulation. I would start with the garage ceiling / rec room floor, then the ceiling of the rec room. That will pay off with greater comfort year round.

For heat, after reducing heat loss, maybe consider a pellet stove? That will lessen mess through the house and it can be put on a thermostat.

It may be a hassle but the first thing I'd consider tackling is seriously beefing up the sealing and insulation. I would start with the garage ceiling / rec room floor, then the ceiling of the rec room. That will pay off with greater comfort year round.

For heat, after reducing heat loss, maybe consider a pellet stove? That will lessen mess through the house and it can be put on a thermostat.
My wife thought about the pellet stove also. How efficient are they? I hate the idea of buying fuel. But, it might be cheaper than oil.

Pellet stoves can be very efficient and clean burning. Installation cost will be a lot less than for a ZC fireplace, as would be a freestanding wood stove.

A lot less. A 44 elite will be around $10K by the time your done.