"Frankenstorm" on the way east coast!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Water powered?
Even amazon sells them,just hook up to your municipal water supply,wont work on a well that needs electric to operate when the power is out. pumps 2 gallons of sump water for every gallon of fresh water used.

Too bad i cant get a "wood" powered one(pump)

I did not know that! Sounds interesting! Waste of water but I guess if it gets you out of a pickle it would work good.
Even amazon sells them,just hook up to your municipal water supply,wont work on a well that needs electric to operate when the power is out. pumps 2 gallons of sump water for every gallon of fresh water used.

Well, I would like to let my fellow hearth members in the Philly area know that this storm won't hit us very hard. I just plunked down the money for a Yamaha inverter generator from Amazon.

Instant insurance.......that I won't need it. :)
Next months bargins on CL, Generators! Same thing happens in FL every Hurricane.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
I did not know that! Sounds interesting! Waste of water but I guess if it gets you out of a pickle it would work good.
Well for $10 worth of fresh water it can pump 500 gallons out of my basement sump,maybe more as my lift is only 2ft rather than 4 ft example,beats carrying buckets of water in the dark.

Latest string model predictions have tightened-up considerably.....seems like central Atlantic coastal states are probably going to bear the brunt of "Frankenstorm".....NY, NJ, CT may be front lines.
map_specnews12_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpgmap_specnews11_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg

Ugh. Stress begins...facility managment and hurricans don't mix.

+1 on that.....Do you stay home with the wife/kids, or do you go in and start the gens!!!!!!
I'm sure it will be a bit of both.

Just filled up the travel trailer with fresh water, propane tanks filled, truck filled with gas. With a fridge in the rv running on propane and propane stove and propane hot water heater and propane heat......should have my bases covered in case long tern outage. Still have a few trees with a lot of leaves....could be some downed limbs. Nothing that should hit rv or house. not exactly looking forward to this. Good luck everyone in the path!

Water powered? If you mean battery powered, get a generator instead. Not sure how long those batteries would last constantly pumping water.
I just ordered one from amazon.(water powered sump pump) Will be delivered tomorrow.

Not worried about an hour or two power failure but extended outages are VERY possibly with a large storm like this. NO way can i go for days without sleep bailing out my basement. Nor do i want to spend thousands for a standby generator like some of my friends did ,on the slight chance they may need it someday.

This blows(pun intended). As of tomorrow, this is the first real vacation (a week or more with minimal work projects) I've taken in ten years. ;sick I was supposed to get a wood delivery next week, so that puts a kink in that probably. And I was going to go visit a cousin over in West Va. Oh, well, at least I will be home for damage control. Hey, at least we have the Halloween candy to raid!!

I bought two Yamaha EF2000is generators today.. I got to the store 4 minutes after it opened and they were already taking phone orders on what they had... They are getting another shipment for Tuesday... I went to local tractor supply, they were out of genny's, but expect a truckload on Monday.. They are already starting a list. I remember after last years Halloween storm, the local HD had a list 600 people long...I put my name on tat list and they still haven't called me... Lol

I'll be heading out into the Atlantic on a cargo ship in a few hours trying to go around the east side of it heading south. This is not going to be fun.

Well let us know what the hurricane is doing on its east side.. That may help!

I'll be heading out into the Atlantic on a cargo ship in a few hours trying to go around the east side of it heading south. This is not going to be fun.
Yikes!

Well I for one will never be able to watch "Grease" with Travolta and Olivia Newton-John and think of Sandy as sweet any more! :)

Reactions: mralias
+1 on that.....Do you stay home with the wife/kids, or do you go in and start the gens!!!!!!
I'm sure it will be a bit of both.

In the past I stayed home, but as my house is int he middle of a field I should just go in and stress at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.