FREE EKO 60

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

34Roy

Oct 1, 2016
Michigan
I have a EKO 60 that I am giving away. I truly feel this boiler owes my nothing. I had heated with it for approximately 8 years. Prior to burning wood, I was paying around $3200 per year for propane. I had an excellent wood source, a local veneer company that sold and delivered cut offs for a very reasonable price. My heating cost per year dropped to $350-$500 annually. In February 2019 my neighbor allowed me to access natural gas on his property. I was considering to continue to heat with wood on a part time basis, but I have decided to convert my boiler room and wood storage area into a workshop.

The boiler was working when I stopped burning wood, but the nozzles really need to be replaced/repaired because the refractory cement that encompasses the nozzle has deteriorated and I wasn't getting the clean burn that I once had. Other than that, everything else has always worked well.

I live in northwest lower Michigan. Whoever takes the boiler will need the appropriate equipment. The EKO was delivered on a steel pallet and the pallet remains. The boiler is still plumbed in and I will have to remove a wall to get the unit out. I can make that happen, but I will need some lead time.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Do you still have backup heat to the Natural gas?
Do you have an ironclad agreement to the natural gas so it can't get cut off if your neighbor gets a change of heart,or the property sells.
Just asking because at the moment you have a great backup system that you know works.
I would make sure that the source of your heat is permanent before removing the boiler system.

Yes I do, there was quite a bit of paperwork, an easement, notorized.., that had to be drawn up prior to the DTE running the line to my house. My neighbor and I both have very long driveways and it would have been cost prohibitive to tap into the gas line on the road. The gas line is five feet underground and now I'm sure it is out of sight and out of mind. I am retired and I'm very much looking forward to a workshop for the first time in my life. Thanks for asking.

Reactions: sloeffle