Free Wood!! pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eightpilot

Hearth Supporter
Jul 2, 2008
Northern WI
Mostly oak and maple. Some birch too. I cut these trees last summer while clearing land for a driveway. I have another batch about the same size still out there. I cut them at 18-20" for my new Oslo that I'm picking up on Monday morning. This will be my first winter with wood heat...I will never look at a fallen tree the same again!! 8

Attachments

• Wood pile.jpg
    Wood pile.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 448
If your burnin that stuff this winter get it split up now or better yet yesterday and in smallar splits with lots of sun. Nice score
and just imagine how many gallons of oil those piles of wood will replace. Enjoy your new stove. Remember that dry wood
is your stoves best freind.

That's some terrific lookin' wood, 8. North of 60's spot-on, as always...get it split & stacked in the sun & breeze ASAP if you're wantin' to burn it this year. Those rounds are real pretty, but the wood's not seasoning very rapidly in the round. It's all about bark-free surface area exposed to the elements. You sure got a nice pile of BTU's there...betcha can't wait to set 'em free! Rick

Like they said its not seasoning very fast when its not split. I had some rounds sitting it the sun for about 2 months
it was cracking pretty fast. I thought it would be ready for this winter. I split it today and only a half inch on both ends
is dry the rest is wet like it was just cut. I know it has been said many times to let the wood season for at least 6 to 8
months. I never realized how true that was till today when I saw how wet the center of the wood still was.

Thanks for the compliments. I don't plan on splitting it until I get more piled up. I wasn't planning on burning it until winter 2009/10 anyway. I will probably get to splitting it next month though. I can see where becoming a wood scavenger can get addicting...he he 8

Welcome to the club 8. It is a healthy addiction. Everyone here trys to look out for each other and get them through the school of hard knots/hard knocks.
Even for 09 get her split ASAP. Every % less of moisture content down to @ least 23% counts. Get that moisture out of your JET fuel so to speak. %-P
CHEERS N of 60

The more seasoned the wood, the better the burn, and the cleaner & safer your stovepipe/chimney will stay. Nothing's more important than seasoned wood to the proper, efficient, and safe operation of a woodstove. Every time I look at a stack of split wood sitting out there in the sun & breeze, I think of it as money earning interest...it's growing in value to me the longer it sits there drying out. Rick

Looks good !

Doesn't it make you smile :)

Status
Not open for further replies.