Freestanding Heat Shield Construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, actually you get to "fudge" the thickness of that non-combustible material that's in direct contact with the combustible wall. The measurement is still from the stove to the combustible as though none of the non-combustibles were there. The tile or whatever applied directly to the drywall or whatever just doesn't buy you any clearance reduction unless it's substantial. For example, 3½" thick masonry (e.g. common brick laid flat) applied directly to the wall (no air space) buys a 33% reduction. There are other configurations specified in the NFPA 211 table, as well. Rick

Thanks....

So to make sure I understand you correctly: My stove is 12 1/2" from my slate tiles. The tiles are 1/2" thick, there is 1/4" of thinset/tile glue/morter..., and are fastened to 1/2" Durarock NG which is fastened to wood studs. So is my actual clearance measurement 12 1/2"(air) + 1/2"(tile) + 1/4"(mortar) + 1/2"(Durarock) for a total of 13 3/4" ?

So is my actual clearance measurement 12 1/2"(air) + 1/2"(tile) + 1/4"(mortar) + 1/2"(Durarock) for a total of 13 3/4" ?

That's correct.

Just subfloor is beneath the tile right now. They didn't use cement board. I have no intentions of relying on that tile for anything; I can't even stand looking at the stuff; can't wait until I get to tear it out. The stove definitely needs a hearth pad of some kind.

When it comes time to start contemplating/designing a hearth to go under this thing, start up a new thread about it, OK? "Clean sheet of paper", & all that. Rick

Thanks....

So to make sure I understand you correctly: My stove is 12 1/2" from my slate tiles. The tiles are 1/2" thick, there is 1/4" of thinset/tile glue/morter..., and are fastened to 1/2" Durarock NG which is fastened to wood studs. So is my actual clearance measurement 12 1/2"(air) + 1/2"(tile) + 1/4"(mortar) + 1/2"(Durarock) for a total of 13 3/4" ?

That's correct.

WAIT, wait...what I said above is wrong. I don't know what I was thinking. You have 12½" CTC. The tile, etc. that's there without an airspace behind it, is just going to conduct the heat it absorbs right into the combustibles, so even though everyone knows tile won't burn, it's considered the surface of the combustible wall. Sorry. I knew something didn't feel right about what I had said, and it kept haunting me until I realized why...it wasn't right. Rick

fossile, That's what I thought! Then your wording made it sound otherwise in a post above... so I asked.... Thanks.

I've got my plan now. I'm going to fabricate this shield and attach it to the back of the stove. I'll weld a couple of mounting brackets to the back of the stove then fasten the shield to those brackets. I'll post some pics when it's done.

Sure thing, I'll start another thread when I'm ready to do the hearth. I actually think that will happen sooner rather than later.

Thanks again everybody for your input. It's much appreciated.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.