freezing pipes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Telsmo

Oct 2, 2009
south east ny
Howdy,
I live in a three story home (basement(above grade), first and second floor)with a woodstove on the first floor. I have baseboard heating with pipes that run around the outer perimiter in the basement. last year I had a pipe burst over one of my basement windows. Also on the second floor I have heat pipes running in my uninsulated garage ceiling, I assume the cieling is insulated as it is the floor of a bedroom but the garage is not. These have not burst yet but after the burst pipe in the basement I drained the system for the duration of last years heating season. I have insulated the pipes with fiberglass insulation by the basement windows. How do I know when and if my pipes are getting cold enough to freeze? And if they are still going to get that cold how can I solve this problem without draining the system or using antifreeze?

Any help is greatly appriciated

Thank You,

Tels

You most likely created the problem with the wood stove. As long as you run it, your baseboards probably don't circulate. Move your thermostat or find a way to circulate without heating. It doesn't take a lot of flow to keep water from freezing.

True, run the system at least a little bit during very cold days. And continue to protect the areas that need it. The garage ceiling needs to be insulated. It will make a nice difference in floor temps above. And maybe staple some plastic over the interior basement windows as temp storm windows?

man i hope my pipes dont freeze!! my boiler should keep heating my downstairs to 55 thoug but the upstairs loop is on a different valve.. im sure the stove will be out allot of the time.

I would recommend draining your heating loops and filling them with antifreeze. Keep in mind when doing this your system needs to be monitored yearly, the antifreeze goes acidic fast and can cause corrosion. Cycling your system is not the best way to prevent frozen pipes.

I would wrap those hot water pipes in your basement with the pipe insulation. This will help a little. I also keep a thermometer on the foundation where the pipes run up the side of the house for heating. Once that temp gets to about 37 degrees (not very often), I run the heat to cycle some warm water through. If your basement is above grade all around, you will have a colder basement than those with most below grade.

There's also some new programmable device that you can connect to your thermostat that cycles heat at certain intervals for a certain amount of time. It may be your best option and I think it's only $75.

stejus said:
There's also some new programmable device that you can connect to your thermostat that cycles heat at certain intervals for a certain amount of time. It may be your best option and I think it's only $75.

Search the forum for Thermguard. There are a lot of people here using this product. it seems all users are very satisfied.

EngineRep said:
stejus said:

Search the forum for Thermguard. There are a lot of people here using this product. it seems all users are very satisfied.

I got one and it is money well spent.

http://www.bearmountaindesign.com/
text_tg_and_thermo_noes.jpg

Telsmo said:
Howdy,
I live in a three story home (basement(above grade), first and second floor)with a woodstove on the first floor. I have baseboard heating with pipes that run around the outer perimiter in the basement. last year I had a pipe burst over one of my basement windows. Also on the second floor I have heat pipes running in my uninsulated garage ceiling, I assume the cieling is insulated as it is the floor of a bedroom but the garage is not. These have not burst yet but after the burst pipe in the basement I drained the system for the duration of last years heating season. I have insulated the pipes with fiberglass insulation by the basement windows. How do I know when and if my pipes are getting cold enough to freeze? And if they are still going to get that cold how can I solve this problem without draining the system or using antifreeze?

Any help is greatly appriciated

Thank You,

Tels

I was a bit concerned about this myself . . . however, after stapling up plastic on the basement windows, chaulking any leaks and insulating both the joists and pipes with pipe insulation I found that I didn't really have any issues. However, to play it safe, when we had three or four more days of sub zero temps I would run the boiler for a few minutes every day to bring things up to temp and move the heated water around the pipes.

As mentioned, Thermgard may be a viable solution for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.