Freezing snowblower pull cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
How can I keep the pull cord on my snowblower from freezing to itself? Snow melts on the engine and freezes the cord to itself. Is there anything I can coat the cord with to keep the frozen water from binding the coils to each other?

Oil or wax maybe?

Matt

I would agree, wax or silicone on the rope might help. I'd be leary of using oil as that might attack the rope fibers.

However prevention will probably help more than anything else. When done with the machine, don't just shut it down and run inside. Take a few minutes to wipe as much of the snow off as you can, and let the engine run for a few minutes to get things at least partly dry before turning it off. Also cover the machine with at least a tarp, if you can get it into some sort of shelter that is even better.

I'd also look to see if you are missing some of you shrouds or something, seems like I've been using snow blowers for a long time and never noticed having this problem...

Gooserider

It has a shroud. It may have been the cord itself. It may have been 25+yrs old and the minor shreading gave the ice a place to hold on to. I put a new cord on the wheel, but haven't reinstalled it yet. Since 3-6" is supposed to be coming tomorrow I bet it'll see some use.

I'll let you know the results if my neighbor doesn't get out and do the snow first. He's been itching to blow snow since he just picked up a blower of his own.

Matt

You could try waxing it.

Candle wax on a shovel prevents the snow from sticking to it.

We used to wax string for something when we were kids. Can't tell you what the hell for now.

I've often replaced pull cords with steel cable. They pull smoother and never break :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.