Froling Update after 6years... a bit of TLC info needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bro-tek

Nov 9, 2010
Canada N.B.
Happy to say I'm very happy with the Froling, she working hard here in NB Canada..

Got the boiler all clean up & notice that the Ceramic core block will have to be replace for next year for sure..
did someone here already done so, if so any tips or parts that I need for the job?

Attachments

• wood2016.jpg
    wood2016.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 740
  • Froling Ceramic.jpg
    Froling Ceramic.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 788
I have Froling 20/30 for only past year and half. No visible cracks or wear on ceramics when I cleaned past summer. How long have you been using your 40/50. Let us know how replacement/repair goes please?

I have Froling 20/30 for only past year and half. No visible cracks or wear on ceramics when I cleaned past summer. How long have you been using your 40/50. Let us know how replacement/repair goes please?
Very happy with the system, over 6 years now.. will be a spring job now... can't stop heating now :)

I think I remember reading of someone making a "disposable" nozzle out of firebrick...just set it on top the factory ceramic. I don't remember if this was just to limp by until spring or if it was to prevent the factory ceramic from wearing in the first place.

I think I remember reading of someone making a "disposable" nozzle out of firebrick...just set it on top the factory ceramic. I don't remember if this was just to limp by until spring or if it was to prevent the factory ceramic from wearing in the first place.
I did that about four years ago on my biomass. Firebrick have held up great, might have to replace them next year. They have protected the nozzle from erosion quite well though.

Not sure there is space on the froling for fire bricks. An angle iron welded insert looks like it could work though.

I'm still in love with my 40/50. Just curious how many hrs you have on your boiler. I'm starting my 6th season and have around 3500 hrs. With the price of propane so low I have gone from around 900 hrs per yr to between 4-500 hrs per yr. I burned year round the first 2 yrs for dhw
I can't see burning year round right now when I filled up my 1,000 gallon tank at .80 a gal. It's also nice to have a break over the summer

Yes, I do have the metal insert installed since I got it, removed it for the pictures..

Got 7200hrs of enjoyable heat from it ...

Reactions: Mike Fromme
I see the metal grate in the pic. But I was suggesting an additional angle iron insert.

Cut a couple pieces of 2" or 3" angle iron the length of the slot and set it in so it is protecting the edge that is eroding.

Yes, I do have the metal insert installed since I got it, removed it for the pictures..

Did you ever replace your refractory? I'm just cerious how that process went and how much it cost.

My Atmos had a nozzle that was wearing & none available in the states. I tried different patch compounds & they fell off right away. I then went to Firebrick Engineers in Milwaukee & got a patch kit. It consisted of a phosforic acid paste that is put down in a thin coat & some kind of clay type top substance that you literally hammer down over the prepared surface. End of problem. The kit was about $45.00. The repair will line foundry molten metal buckets...so its tough & then some.

Nice to see you here, I just bought tractor parts from you. Nice stuff too!

Attachments

• IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 159