Froling Users Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marshy

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2016
NY
I don't believe there is a Froling Users Thread already and I think that's because there might not be anything to talk about lol! However, I thought I would start this thread to give Froling users a spot to check-in at. Mine is working as great as the first day I started it.

I wanted to ask, how many hours do you go between major cleaning? By major cleaning I mean a cleanout of the firebox floor, remove the cast iron grates clean the secondary air channels, removed the firebox heat shields and scrape the creosote off behind the shields, remove the tubulators and brush the heat tubes, brush between the firebrick in the combustion chamber and scrape out all the ash from the rear door.

Since April 30, 2018
Operating hours: 2368
Slumber hours: 82
About 3.5%

I am still really liking my Froling S3. This is our 4th season after using a Econoburn 200 for 5 years. Really no comparison on using the 2. The Froling is just so simple to start. My wife really likes the Froling when I am working my 24 hour to sometimes 72 hour shifts.

I do still get a fair amount of fly ash in the boiler shed. I think I might need more make up air.

I usually empty the ash every 2 weeks.

Here are pictures I took yesterday of stats. The 1 hour of slumber was easy to keep at that with 1000 gallons of storage.

frolinghours.jpegfrolingslumber.jpeg

FGH 30kw
2019-2020 first winter
Operating hours: 566
Slumber hours: 15 (before bumping up the set point. Also went from 500 gallons of storage to 1000)
I've been doing a good clean every 2-3 weeks still feeling things out.

I am still really liking my Froling S3. This is our 4th season after using a Econoburn 200 for 5 years. Really no comparison on using the 2. The Froling is just so simple to start. My wife really likes the Froling when I am working my 24 hour to sometimes 72 hour shifts.

I do still get a fair amount of fly ash in the boiler shed. I think I might need more make up air.

I usually empty the ash every 2 weeks.

Here are pictures I took yesterday of stats. The 1 hour of slumber was easy to keep at that with 1000 gallons of storage.

View attachment 269513View attachment 269515
Goose, I just made an F3 purchase with 500 gal of storage. Excited to start the build this summer. I am a little interested in your fly ash comment since I will have this boiler in my boiler room in my basement. Do you know what the cause of this may be, cant say im interested in have that issue in my room.

I own a Froling FHG installed in 2012. My whole heating system is a little on the non-standard side so comparisons may be like apples and oranges. I have considerably more slumber hours but that is due to the way the entire system operates.
I do the “major” cleaning generally annually, maybe twice if ambitious. Brush the flues maybe monthly. Yes, I get fly ash outside the boiler. It is mainly due to the induced draft fan slightly pressurizing the flue gas pipe to the chimney. Instructions say to seal the pipe joints with silicone but you know how difficult that makes it to remove and clean them? My boiler is in the garage so I just accept the ash.

Never had any problem with the boiler until this year. One morning the house was cold and the boiler tripped out on excess temp (it was at 230F). Obviously, no boiler circulation. The pump in the loading unit is the only one that I didn’t have a spare for. While investigating, it suddenly started working again. I set a high temp alarm on my temp monitoring system and found runaway temps again a couple times over the next few days but each time they self-corrected when I investigated. In the end, I determined that the source of the problem was the contacts in the relay in the control box for the pump. They had seen enough arcing from opening and closing over the years to no longer make good, reliable contact. A piece of emery paper shined them up and the problem went away. Another item for annual maintenance. I now also own a spare relay ($15 on Amazon).

I own a Froling FHG installed in 2012. My whole heating system is a little on the non-standard side so comparisons may be like apples and oranges. I have considerably more slumber hours but that is due to the way the entire system operates.
I do the “major” cleaning generally annually, maybe twice if ambitious. Brush the flues maybe monthly. Yes, I get fly ash outside the boiler. It is mainly due to the induced draft fan slightly pressurizing the flue gas pipe to the chimney. Instructions say to seal the pipe joints with silicone but you know how difficult that makes it to remove and clean them? My boiler is in the garage so I just accept the ash.

Never had any problem with the boiler until this year. One morning the house was cold and the boiler tripped out on excess temp (it was at 230F). Obviously, no boiler circulation. The pump in the loading unit is the only one that I didn’t have a spare for. While investigating, it suddenly started working again. I set a high temp alarm on my temp monitoring system and found runaway temps again a couple times over the next few days but each time they self-corrected when I investigated. In the end, I determined that the source of the problem was the contacts in the relay in the control box for the pump. They had seen enough arcing from opening and closing over the years to no longer make good, reliable contact. A piece of emery paper shined them up and the problem went away. Another item for annual maintenance. I now also own a spare relay ($15 on Amazon).
I had one zone valve relay switch do the same about every season since about 10 years.Although a quick fix it and easy to get at it should be change out.