Front Steps Railing Post Cap motion sensing Low Voltage LED Accent Lights for dark days of fall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I saw the first 2 pics at the local Ace Hardware store and thought it would pretty but I would need one of those new slim line routers to cut the post channels. So I picked up the lights and wires on the day of the 20% off anything you can fit in a bucket and brought it all home! I also got a nice Makita Router and 3/8" bit to cut approx 1/4" deep channel with the straight edge guide that comes with the router.

The connector block with clip leads is easy to install but I drilled a hole in the back of them and mounted them with a wood screw instead of double sided tape for more security. One of the spike connectors did not make good wire contact when I fired up the lights so I had to go back and make sure it pierced the wi properly to make the electrical contact.

The 12v LED lamp is good for approx 24 years and the motion detector I already mounted above the garage will only turn the lights on when needed so they should last a very, very long time.

The only draw back is that becaust the low voltage transformer takes a few seconds to warm up before the LEDs lite, so when I drive into the driveway the cap lights come on 30 seconds later. That is how long it takes me to get to them so it works fine for me.

Anyone else try this? Any tips and how do you like them?

Pic Store Demo 1-2 -- Ace Hardware Store Display
Pic 1 - Post Cap LED in aluminum cap and connector block
Pic 2 - Choosing location to start routing
Pic 3 - 6 Routing channel 3/8" wide and 1/4" deep for 16 Guage Low voltage 2 conductor wire

Attachments

• StoreDemoPostCapLights (1).JPG
    StoreDemoPostCapLights (1).JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 340
  • StoreDemoPostCapLights (2).JPG
    StoreDemoPostCapLights (2).JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 258
  • StepLights (1).JPG
    StepLights (1).JPG
    357 KB · Views: 218
  • StepLights (2).JPG
    StepLights (2).JPG
    549.7 KB · Views: 226
  • StepLights (3).JPG
    StepLights (3).JPG
    493.3 KB · Views: 248
  • StepLights (4).JPG
    StepLights (4).JPG
    490.3 KB · Views: 233
  • StepLights (5).JPG
    StepLights (5).JPG
    597.8 KB · Views: 199
  • StepLights (6).JPG
    StepLights (6).JPG
    415.8 KB · Views: 229
Hello

More pics

Pic 7 - Top of post Low voltage wire installed with u shaped electrical wire clips
Pic 8 - bottom of post - drill hole to run wire inside frame nailed to stringers.
Pic 9 - 1st terminal block with wire pressed into spikes. Wire then goes to second block.
Pic 10 - Outdoor AC outlet in weather proof electrical box on right side under steps with LED low voltage transformer plug in mounted under door in back of steps. Additional outlet can be used for Rope or Tape LED railing lights.
Pic 11 - Junction box for 14 guage direct burial electrical cable for AC power coming out of the house under the stairs. This wire goes to the junction box where garage lights connect to motion sensor.
Pic 12 - Additional 2 AC outlets on right side under steps for more rope or tape lights on motion sensor.
Final pic - Lights on temperarily to test out system before finished work.

Attachments

• StepLights (7).JPG
    StepLights (7).JPG
    449.8 KB · Views: 207
  • StepLights (8).JPG
    StepLights (8).JPG
    515.1 KB · Views: 219
  • StepLights (9).JPG
    StepLights (9).JPG
    405.1 KB · Views: 196
  • StepLights (10).JPG
    StepLights (10).JPG
    369.7 KB · Views: 208
  • StepLights (11).JPG
    StepLights (11).JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 225
  • StepLights (12).JPG
    StepLights (12).JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 218
  • FinishedLEDwiring.JPG
    FinishedLEDwiring.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 210
I am totally amazed that you didn't buy a good quality solar cap. Installation takes 1 min. Some of the older ones are just OK but the newer ones are 6 or 8 times as bright and work perfectly. I bought 4 a month ago for $6. each and put them on the posts by our hwy entrance. They are easily bright enough to see when driving by at 60 mph on the highway and light an area 8' around the post.

I am totally amazed that you didn't buy a good quality solar cap. Installation takes 1 min. Some of the older ones are just OK but the newer ones are 6 or 8 times as bright and work perfectly. I bought 4 a month ago for $6. each and put them on the posts by our hwy entrance. They are easily bright enough to see when driving by at 60 mph on the highway and light an area 8' around the post.
Are those still on at 1AM in January ?

If it's a really dull day, no. If the day is normal, yes. We have these on our 800' driveway and right now, some lose power after a few hours on a dull day because they are shaded with trees. Once the leaves fall, they are almost all on until midnight during the winter. After a year or two, lift the top off and replace the batteries with a better quality set of rechargables. You can also buy a rope set or floodlight that has a separate larger solar cell and contains a set of 4 AA's. The best bet is a solar powered sensor with 35 or more led's that work just like a floodlight. I put one on the top corner of my wood shed and it stays on for half a minute and I have yet to have it lose power during the winter.
This link is similar to mine that I paid $39 Cdn on sale. Super easy install. Screw it in and point sensor & light. Done. Very bright at night so be sure that you do not point the light at the person. If it comes on in darkness, it will blind you. Point it down at the steps/walkway. I ain't kiddin - :eek:
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/80-led-solar-motion-security-light/A-p8542466e

Mine are about 7 years old or so and by end of October they're out of juice by 9 or 10 PM depending on the weather.
I've updated to newer lithium batteries but they didn't improve the performance by much if at all.
Some "battery and LED "internet experts"" claimed they wouldn't work at all.

Reactions: Don2222
Are those still on at 1AM in January ?
They are on a motion sensor.
I will not have to worry about them dying out for 24 years. :)

Last edited:
Mine are about 7 years old or so and by end of October they're out of juice by 9 or 10 PM depending on the weather.
I've updated to newer lithium batteries but they didn't improve the performance by much if at all.
Some "battery and LED "internet experts"" claimed they wouldn't work at all.
That is exactly why I went to hard wire. It took me and my helper 8 hours in total to do the wiring but now I also have the motion controlled outlets to plug in the custom under railing tape LED low voltage lighting!

Can't wait to hear about the racing Christmas light display.

I bought a string of sparkling LED fantasy lights for my grand daughter from ebay for under $10., postage from China included. IF it only lasts a few months, I'll be happy. It make a great way to make her thrilled for a few weeks.

They are on a motion sensor.
I will not have to worry about them dying out for 24 years. :)

My solar ones which are driveway markers of a sort along a fence rather than a stair/deck rail never performed well in the shortest days of Winter.
We try to keep our electric usage under 125kwh/mo. We probably wouldn't have low voltage/low lumen lights if they ran off the meter.

2 years ago when I did my picket fence I got the solar caps for the posts. They worked great. that year. Winter came, and with it the disgusting darkness. the batteries never had a chance to charge. A few stragglers made it through the winter, but by midnight they were all dead. I could put new batteries I suppose but 16 batteries to last one season isn't worth it to me. they still look nice during the day as they add a decorative touch to the fence.

I had low voltage lights for the walkway too, and I got tired of straightening them out constantly. Weed whacking around them etc. Gave up on those too and took them out. It was cool when the snow would cover them - I had this eerie glowing snow.

Looks like a great setup. When I do outside low power wiring like LED, I typically keep the J-box inside and just run the small wire outside from the 120V to 12V transformer. Keeps it all dry.

They will likely last as long as you want them to last.

Looks like a great setup. When I do outside low power wiring like LED, I typically keep the J-box inside and just run the small wire outside from the 120V to 12V transformer. Keeps it all dry.

They will likely last as long as you want them to last.

Yes that is a good way too.

The reason I did it this way, is so I could add 120 volt ac LED rope light and just plug it right in on each side or the staircase.

Be wary the power supply that may have come with your low voltage lights. It may create a parasitic (vampire) load that doesn't switch on and off with the photocell. The better supplies are the switching type that are generally lighter (no transformer) and sometimes have an Energy Star logo on them.

Reactions: Don2222
Be wary the power supply that may have come with your low voltage lights. It may create a parasitic (vampire) load that doesn't switch on and off with the photocell. The better supplies are the switching type that are generally lighter (no transformer) and sometimes have an Energy Star logo on them.
Thanks for that good info. The power supply I had on there had a photo cell and a timer to shut off in 4 6 or 8 hours after dusk. The problem I had was with a mechanical relay in there that took 30 seconds to switch the 12 volts on after the AC outlet was turned on or it got dark. I have the 120 VAC outlet on my driveway motion sensor so it made the relay short cycle and break after one night of usage! So I returned the vampire low voltage transformer and ordered a very simple transformer with no photo cell and no timer.
Do you think this simple transformer will work with my infared motion sensor?
http://www.decksdirect.com/ac-transformer-by-aurora-deck-lighting.html

Last edited:
Thanks for that good info. The power supply I had on there had a photo cell and a timer to shut off in 4 6 or 8 hours after dusk. The problem I had was with a mechanical relay in there that took 30 seconds to switch the 12 volts on after the AC outlet was turned on or it got dark. I have the 120 VAC outlet on my driveway motion sensor so it made the relay short cycle and break after one night of usage! So I returned the vampire low voltage transformer and ordered a very simple transformer with no photo cell and no timer.
Do you think this simple transformer will work with my infared motion sensor?
http://www.decksdirect.com/ac-transformer-by-aurora-deck-lighting.html
Generally, any power supply based on a transformer will create parasitic loads including the one you linked. Switching power supplies use electronic switching circuitry which usually has less parasitic draw.
The transformer you linked should solve your problem with the motion sensor causing you porch lights to cycle with delay though.

Generally, any power supply based on a transformer will create parasitic loads including the one you linked. Switching power supplies use electronic switching circuitry which usually has less parasitic draw.
The transformer you linked should solve your problem with the motion sensor causing you porch lights to cycle with delay though.

True about the parasitic load with any supply, but it cannot happen with this setup because when there is no motion the 120 VAC outlet the transformer is plugged into will be dead!

All problems solved! Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.