Frozen heating pipe - subsequent insurance claim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCPrincess

Oct 13, 2014
Westbury, ny
So a pipe froze on me yesterday and burst. Major leaking occurred and ensuing water damage. As this happened to any of you? If so, did your homeowners insurance cover it? Talk to me about it. Would love some advice.

Thanks.

So a pipe froze on me yesterday and burst. Major leaking occurred and ensuing water damage. As this happened to any of you? If so, did your homeowners insurance cover it? Talk to me about it. Would love some advice.

Thanks.
It didn't happn to me but it did to a coworker of mine. Her homeowners paid for repairs. Why don't you just call your insurance agent?

Was this a result of having a wood or pellet stove going which left the basement cold?

It hasn't happened to me but I also make a habit of letting the boiler run at least once morning and evening when the lows start getting into the teens. Saving a few dollars per day on oil doesn't offset repairs or insurance deductibles.

Reactions: fespo
Interestingly enough the wood stove was on, but we never shut off the heat. We leave it at 67 so any time it drops below, it just goes on automatically. The pipe was on the second floor right under the roof. the pipe was insulated but the roof in that area is not. Just wondering what they would say.

I already called. Water mitigation folks are coming this morning. I just don't want to incur expenses to find out they won't cover.

How long have you lived in the house? Have you used the woodstove other years?
This has not been a cold year so I'm guessing either you just moved in or just started burning.

Burst pipe should be covered by insurance.

Companies are hesitant to cover homes where wood is the "primary" heating source not only because of the increased fire risk but from freezing pipes as well. Not only do stoves run out of fuel quickly compared to a furnace but we also need to make sure the entire house stays up to temp (no less than around 60 if it's below freezing outside). With a huge space heater like a stove you could in theory still have your furnace as a backup set to 65 but it may never come on because the thermostat is close to the stove. Pipes in basements, crawl spaces or the far ends of the house are especially at risk. It's one of the things to consider for people who do a serious burn overnight when the freezing risk is greatest.

Last edited:
Happened to me but with no woodstove involved. We hired a private adjuster, they deal with the the insurance company, so they know how to explain it right. They got us 3 times as much as the original offer.

I've done a ton of research into boilers and hot water heating. One solution for freezing pipes is having the circulators in that loop cycle on periodically once the outside temp reaches a certain low. Future advice for you or anyone else with pipes in areas that may freeze.

Happened to me but with no woodstove involved. We hired a private adjuster, they deal with the the insurance company, so they know how to explain it right. They got us 3 times as much as the original offer.

Did you involve a private adjuster after having tried working with the insurance company directly? Where did you find one? And what was their fee?

Did you involve a private adjuster after having tried working with the insurance company directly? Where did you find one? And what was their fee?
We contacted our insurance broker, hired a cleanup crew and after the place cleaned up a friend suggested a company they had used. They take 10% of what they get from the insurance company.

I've done a ton of research into boilers and hot water heating. One solution for freezing pipes is having the circulators in that loop cycle on periodically once the outside temp reaches a certain low. Future advice for you or anyone else with pipes in areas that may freeze.
I have a freeze protection thermostat (turns on circulating pump when below 34 degrees) in my shop. There is no heat out there other than wood heat and the hot water is heated off the stove too. We usually are above freezing through the winter here with just a few days below. The pump keeps the water moving and have never had a freeze up when the pump was on.

Interestingly enough the wood stove was on, but we never shut off the heat. We leave it at 67 so any time it drops below, it just goes on automatically. The pipe was on the second floor right under the roof. the pipe was insulated but the roof in that area is not. Just wondering what they would say.

I already called. Water mitigation folks are coming this morning. I just don't want to incur expenses to find out they won't cover.
Sorry for the hassle and loss. That sounds like truly boneheaded plumbing. What were they thinking? Not my problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.