Frozen pipes?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I left out the part where the water pipes travel out through the garage, and up stairs to a bathroom. The bathroom is used pretty much, and I was hoping that the 50+ degree basement water would keep it from freezing.

Glad to hear it. Good Luck with the ThermGuard

forya said:
I left out the part where the water pipes travel out through the garage, and up stairs to a bathroom. The bathroom is used pretty much, and I was hoping that the 50+ degree basement water would keep it from freezing.

Is the garage heated or unheated and what is the temperature there when it gets cold and is the plumbing on the warm side of any insulation?

Lots of questions so little time.

Hello

I have an unheated garage with DHW pipes and baseboard heating pipes not on running through it. Since my pellet stove is in the basement next to the garage, I open the insulated metal door a crack on really cold nights so the heat will keep the garage above 32 degrees. It works.

There is a new product for protecting water pipes down to -30 degrees called Ice-Loc
http://www.iceloc.com/How_To.html

Also on about.com are 8 pages of some good tips on frozen pipes in your home.

http://homerepair.about.com/od/plumbingrepair/ss/thaw_frzn_pipe.htm

From Page 5 of 8
Preventing Frozen Pipes
There are a few things you can do to prevent the problem of freezing pipes from occurring again.

* Leave the faucet drip slightly as a trickle. The dripping water will keep the water in the pipe from freezing.
* Open kitchen base cabinet and let room air circulate.
* Open kitchen base cabinet and place a small portable heater near or in it to heat the pipes
* Wrap the problem pipe with electrical heat tape.
* Insulate the problem pipes with foam insulation wrap, especially those that run through unheated spaces.
* Temper the currently unheated crawlspace by placing a heater in the crawlspace. You just need to elevate the crawlspace temperature to modestly above freezing, about 40°F.

Status
Not open for further replies.