Funny smell on first use of pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pelletstove_newbie

Nov 19, 2018
Maryland
As my username indicates, I just installed a pellet stove in my basement. I ran it for the first time last night. Everything seemed to be running and venting properly. There was no visible smoke in the house, and I have a carbon monoxide detector nearby inside the house that did not go off. Nevertheless, I was a little worried about a pretty powerful and unpleasant smell in the basement. I was wondering if anybody has had this experience or has any theories on what is going on. Is it plausible that this is just something to expect on first use and it will go away with continued use? I'm nervous about running it much more before diagnosing the issue.

Thanks!

As my username indicates, I just installed a pellet stove in my basement. I ran it for the first time last night. Everything seemed to be running and venting properly. There was no visible smoke in the house, and I have a carbon monoxide detector nearby inside the house that did not go off. Nevertheless, I was a little worried about a pretty powerful and unpleasant smell in the basement. I was wondering if anybody has had this experience or has any theories on what is going on. Is it plausible that this is just something to expect on first use and it will go away with continued use? I'm nervous about running it much more before diagnosing the issue.

Thanks!
Completely normal for a first run. It should go away in 24-48 hours once it burns off.