Funny thing I read in my manual...re rumble....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dtabor

Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2007
Lake Elmore, VT
We've all been talking about wanting to hear that rumble when we close the damper on the NC stoves........

I was just perusing my manual and found this....

"If you hear a rumbling or roaring noise from the stove, that is a sign that the stove is overfiring".

Now if I hadn't been on here and talking about the mysterious "rumble" of the NC stoves, that statement along with hearing it would scare the bejesus out of me!

D

OK, so when there is no noise it is not working, but when there is a rumble it is over firing?

Well, I'll let the experts handle that one. Once again it seems difficult to expect a normal stove operator (including the hard of hearing) to find the place where it just burns but does not rumble.

I just re-read the operation part of the manual.....so funny now that Ive seen all the stuff on here...

First, doesnt even mention that when you close the damper you should hear a rumble. Just says when the temp reaches 450*, close the damper, adjust the air and you're good to go.

Then reading the part on rekindling, says to put in the wood, close the damper and THEN when the temps get up to 450* adjust the air control and you're good to go.

If anyone had never been to Hearth.com and read that it seems SOOOO simple and flawless!

There have been times when I have had a secondary burn and the rumble was hard to hear, at best. When I hear the rumble, I have no stack smoke and a good burn. I've even opened the path to the refractory so I could see what is happening. When you have the rumble, you see the smoke and air burning through the holes in the shoe, sort of looks like a gas stove burner. So, I doubt the rumble is overfire. I also doubt that CFM understands a whole lot about this stove in actual user applications.

Rumble away, he said, as he shook his Mo-Jo stick at the Defiant, NC. Rumble on, burn your heart out now that you are cursed to Everburn! Dancing around the stove three more times, he suddenly noticed the rumble go; and with it the secondary burn: a stall, another premature secondary burnation!

Status
Not open for further replies.