Furnace Cement Odor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

milesmoony

Dec 8, 2019
Olympic Peninsula
Has anyone else experienced this? If so what did you do? I recently painted my glo fire 301 wood stove. Sandblasted it, packed the seams with imperial furnace cement, and 3 coats of stove bright satin black. I fully cured the paint with two raging hot long lasting fires outside before moving the stove back in. All seemed to be well until AFTER a couple weeks of burning. Now every time I build a fire for the first hour or so I get an awful odor coming from the stove - smells like burning plastic. After the fire gets the stove up to temp the smell pretty much goes away. This smells nothing like curing stove paint, the paint is totally cured. I’m positive it’s the furnace cement. Has anyone else had this issue? Only thing I can think to do is take the stove back out and have another glowing hot burn-a-thon. Doesn’t make sense to me though. Any advice appreciated!

Anyone had a similar experience? Thinking I need to take my stove apart and remove all the furnace cement. I’ve been burning the stove everyday for over a month now and the smell is stronger than ever. No problems with the paint, paint is fully cured.

No, I haven't, though I have never used the Imperial product either. Was any silicone used on the flue collar or stove piping?

This is an old thread but yes, put stove cement on the flue of my stove after curing it with a few outdoor fires and it continues to stinks for the first 1/2 hour to 45 minutes after lighting it. Starts smelling well before stove is up to temp. I'm fairly certain it is the stove cement. Did you figure your issue out?

This is an old thread but yes, put stove cement on the flue of my stove after curing it with a few outdoor fires and it continues to stinks for the first 1/2 hour to 45 minutes after lighting it. Starts smelling well before stove is up to temp. I'm fairly certain it is the stove cement. Did you figure your issue out?

Never did, but I am certain it’s the stove cement. Same as you described. I called the manufacturer and they claim there’s no way it’s the cement but I just don’t buy it. It’s very unpleasant, to the point I will either need to chip/wire brush it out or get a new stove

Never did, but I am certain it’s the stove cement. Same as you described. I called the manufacturer and they claim there’s no way it’s the cement but I just don’t buy it. It’s very unpleasant, to the point I will either need to chip/wire brush it out or get a new stove
I have used lots of furnace cement in lots of applications and never smelled a thing from it

I haven't either with Rutland orJotul stove cement. We have had an occasional paint job that has been the source of a smell, even after being baked in. One, many years back was actually sooting up the woman's living room.

What paint did you use?

Never mind I read back and saw stove brite.

What brand did you use?
Imperial?