Furnace Liner Install Looks Loose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bipsic

Nov 16, 2021
Silver Spring
Had a chimney company install a liner in my chimney per code for a new (gas) furnace install. They broke out a part of the ceramic liner at the bottom to attach the pipe from the hot water heater and the furnace. They flexed the liner to 90 degrees through the cinder block wall, and then used sheet metal screws to attach to the pipe. As you can see from the pics, there is about an inch gap at the top when I look inside there is a bit of white excess ceramic fire wool used to secure the top kit. Sent them these pics, they said it was normal to have a gap between the liner and the collar, this is not for a wood stove, just a gas furnace, so it does not get nearly as hot as my fireplace insert. Does this look OK?

furnaceliner3.jpg furnaceliner2.jpg furnaceliner.jpg