1. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tracks74

Tracks74
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 3, 2016
    Loc:
    Milwaukee, WI
    That is one of the most interesting reads of 2017! Very very cool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. woodgeek

woodgeek
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2008
    Loc:
    SE PA
    I have been watching the new fusion review.

This article looked a bit weak to me. 'First Plasma' with no magnets installed at all? So, not a demo of magnetic confinement, and it is not yet a tokamak...its a big fluorescent lamp. But I suppose...watch this space.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  5. woodgeek

woodgeek
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2008
    Loc:
    SE PA
    Indeed not clear. The last photo of the vacuum chamber does not show any coils....is it a current photo or an old one?...of coils are installed...why not show a recent photo with them? Similarly, there does not appear to be any gradient in the blue plasma glow....which would make sense if there were not field?

6. iamlucky13

iamlucky13
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2015
    Loc:
    Western Washington
    I've surprisingly not heard much about this project. At a glance, they seem very optimistic, but I also couldn't help but notice they don't seem to be talking about some of the big issues the ITER team is working through, including neutron embrittlement of the structure, controlling the lithium breeding process and replenishing it, helium "ash" extraction, and tolerance to withstand potential superconductor quenches (which can be both thermally and mechanically damaging). That said, they may simply be hoping to benefit from the work ITER is doing on those challenges if they can prove they get the power scaling they need in order to attempt to make a viable powerplant.

It sounds like magnets are coming, but testing the heating system is an important milestone, too.

I'm a little more familiar with NSTX, a spherical Tokamak at Princeton:
    http://nstx-u.pppl.gov/overview

7. woodgeek

woodgeek
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2008
    Loc:
    SE PA
    All good points @iamlucky13

I suspect that this experiment is not intended to do any long-duration test that would produce enough n's to lead to those issues, but rather is another confinement experiment. If they get great confinement (through some unstated innovation), i.e. temperature and density, they could then raise funds for another machine that might make real energy.

8. iamlucky13

iamlucky13
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2015
    Loc:
    Western Washington
    I agree. ST40 will not have to deal with those issues. I don't think it's even actually intended to conduct actual fusion reactions - only to verify the design to achieve the conditions under which we know fusion occurs. Actually conducting fusion means a lot of extra expenses for radiation protection and handling of neutron-activated components.

Their long term plan has those issues becoming directly relevant in relatively short order, however.

9. pdf27

pdf27
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2012
    Loc:
    UK
    Amusingly enough, I used to work there including on a rather larger version of that Tokamak which has been running for a number of years. Bit hard to tell from those photos but I'm pretty sure that the magnetic coils are internal to the vacuum vessel rather than external.

woodgeek likes this.
  10. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2008
    Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    States may be commercially operational by 2030 .

11. WoodyIsGoody

WoodyIsGoody
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 16, 2017
    Loc:
    Pacific NW Washington
    Yeah. And when I was 7, everyone was supposed to be travelling around in flying cars by year 2000.

Sprinter likes this.
  12. woodgeek

woodgeek
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2008
    Loc:
    SE PA
  13. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    From the article: "With the ST40 up and running, the next steps are to complete the commissioning and installation of the full set of magnetic coils which are crucial to reaching the temperatures required for fusion."

14. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA