FYI - Check Your Englander 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I noticed my stove top temp and my flue pipe temp were running about the same on start-up yesterday. Even after I dampered down as it closed in on 400ish degrees on the way to 550, the pipe temps were staying up. For some reason, I took a look-see at the secondary tubes and noticed the baffle boards were overlapping - one kind of crooked and laying over on the other, leaving about 1/3rd of the stove top without a baffle board.

I had a full load of wood blazing away, but opened the door and used my poker to slide the baffle board back into place. The stove top temp stabilized and the flue pipe temps dropped. I guess all my heat was going straight up the pipe.

Not sure how (or really who did it) the baffle board got moved around, but all is well with the '30 now.

Happy burning!
Bill

Yup, the 30 won't run right with those baffles out of whack. Too much heat straight up the stack, and the secondaries don't work.

I check mine every time I reload.

-SF

Baffle? The 30 has a baffle? That wasn't packing material?

BrotherBart said:

I thought those heavy brick like thingies were the packing material... ;)

Bill

The 1" Kaowool blanket I put on top of the baffle plates keeps them in place and snugly together.

Not just Englander, any stove with a baffle.

The other day I am looking at the flames and I see them moving towards the rear of the fire box. Now that shouldn't be happening. When the stove cooled off, I checked the baffle and found it was not tight up against the back of the stove. Not by a lot, maybe 1/8" -1/4". The stove worked better after I fixed it. :)

leeave96 said:
I noticed my stove top temp and my flue pipe temp were running about the same on start-up yesterday. Even after I dampered down as it closed in on 400ish degrees on the way to 550, the pipe temps were staying up. For some reason, I took a look-see at the secondary tubes and noticed the baffle boards were overlapping - one kind of crooked and laying over on the other, leaving about 1/3rd of the stove top without a baffle board.

I had a full load of wood blazing away, but opened the door and used my poker to slide the baffle board back into place. The stove top temp stabilized and the flue pipe temps dropped. I guess all my heat was going straight up the pipe.

Not sure how (or really who did it) the baffle board got moved around, but all is well with the '30 now.

Happy burning!
Bill

That is weird because I noticed the same damn thing today...I know it wasn't like that last night....I fixed it...but..
how the heck does that happen?
I am gonna blame Mr Gamma.... :lol:

I checked mine too lol.....
Merry Xmas!

GAMMA RAY said:
leeave96 said:

Happy burning!
Bill

That is weird because I noticed the same damn thing today...I know it wasn't like that last night....I fixed it...but..
how the heck does that happen?
I am gonna blame Mr Gamma.... :lol:

Santa? :p

Has to be,it weren't the Easter Bunny.

leeave96 said:
BrotherBart said:

I thought those heavy brick like thingies were the packing material... ;)

Bill

If you want your full 3.5cu ft of fire box it is. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.