gaining firebox space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dunnymontana

Dec 11, 2019
minnesota
hi everyone, I moved into a new home that has a wood fireplace. I would like to have a wood insert installed. the local company that came out said that I didnt have enough space to do a insert. after they left I started to look closer in the fire box. it appears that there is a prefab brick wall/ barrier that sounds hollow behind it. my question is, would it be possible for me to remove that to gain a little extra space. it is definitely not structural. thanks!

Attachments

• 20191212_085107.jpg
    20191212_085107.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 20191212_085037.jpg
    20191212_085037.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 20191212_085042.jpg
    20191212_085042.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 20191212_085051.jpg
    20191212_085051.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 188
There are inserts that stick out on the hearth that might heat better anyway.

Or a rear venting free stander, fireplace looks big enough.

Odd, that opening seems plenty big to put a stove in. Again insert maybe set out on to the hearth without the surround. or a rear vert for sure. A Buck or Kuma stove wound look good. Your local company must not want your money. ha ha
I myself would not mess with the back of the fireplace, you have several other options.

thanks, I will look into those brands. and maybe get a different company out and see what they say. I have always wanted a wood burner and now finally have a home with a chimney and a abundance of nice burnable firewood

The fireplace does pinch down at the rear pretty dramatically. What are the opening dimensions and what does it measure at the rear. What is the depth, top and bottom?

A good application for one of these?
20191212_180531.jpg

Reactions: Ludlow
the diagram would be if you were looking directly down at the fire box.
You have some options. There are definitely inserts that will fit. The Regency Hearth heater is a thought and there are others. How large an area will the insert be heating? How will it be used, mostly nights and weekends or 24/7? Is there a particular style of stove you like or do you just want heat?

Last edited:
dunnymontana What stove dealers are in your area? Is Minneapolis too far away?

I will mostly be burning nights and weekends , aprox 1500sq ft on my main level . i guess I would prefer the insert to be in the fireplace as much as possible instead of sticking way out. I understand that due to my small fire box that may be tough. the dealer closest to me is fireside hearth and home . they deal with quadra fire and Vermont castings. I am about 30 mon from Minneapolis.

If you want a regency hearth heater order it now they are making one more production run to fill orders in the next couple weeks then there will be no more available. It was never a very good seller because of the tiny firebox

What is the depth of the fireplace at 20" above the floor? I'm wondering if an IronStrike Striker C160 or a Lopi Answer would fit.

Last edited:
Sounds like either of the two stoves mentioned would work then.