Game Of Logging - Level 1 (Upstate New York) Anybody Interested?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battenkiller

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2009
Just Outside the Blue Line
I'm trying to get a Level 1 Game of Logging course set up somewhere in eastern New York. I finally got hold of Bill from Procuts and he is willing to add a class if we can get together 6-10 folks to enroll. Cost will be $135/person if arranged directly through him, or $150 if through the NYS Loggers Assoc. He already has me and one other guy willing to get on board and the likely location will be somewhere in Fulton County, NY. He's supposed to call back sometime today to find out if any dates will work for him. He has Dec 3,4 and 18 not booked as of yet, and nothing listed after Dec 20. There may also be openings in some of the other classes, but size is limited to 10/class so there will only be room for a max of 4 more added on to these classes (if there is any room at all).

Let me know ASAP, here or through a PM.

ok, what's the game of logging?

It's a professional logging training course. The first two levels cover basic saw operation and maintenance along with felling and bucking techniques over a range of situations. Many very experienced cutters highly recommend it as the best way to learn sophisticated felling techniques and personal safety. $135/day is a cheap insurance policy IMO.

The three levels of the GOL taken 6 years ago changed completely my techniques: faster, more efficient, safer, less downtime in the woodlands.

It's a professional-based program for anyone who thinks they know it all. For a more professional, licensed program, the Certified Logging Professional (CLP)
program will add more to your bag if you're thinking of going into the business.

Both never emphasize the macho we read about here: no "bigger, faster, longer" stuff. Just get the job done fast and safe.

Highly recommended.

Anecdote: the first morning at GOL the instructor took a pair of chaps from one of us to demo. The chaps, " ..used without problems for 3 years", were placed over a white pine log and cut through with the instructor's 372XP saw. All of us had new chaps for the following session. Why ?

fjord said:
The three levels of the GOL taken 6 years ago changed completely my techniques: faster, more efficient, safer, less downtime in the woodlands.

It's a professional-based program for anyone who thinks they know it all. For a more professional, licensed program, the Certified Logging Professional (CLP)
program will add more to your bag if you're thinking of going into the business.

Both never emphasize the macho we read about here: no "bigger, faster, longer" stuff. Just get the job done fast and safe.

Highly recommended.

Anecdote: the first morning at GOL the instructor took a pair of chaps from one of us to demo. The chaps, " ..used without problems for 3 years", were placed over a white pine log and cut through with the instructor's 372XP saw. All of us had new chaps for the following session. Why ?

Would gladly answer this riddle if I knew...

JV_Thimble said:
fjord said:

Highly recommended.

Free advertising for the chaps company and a scare tactic used by the insurance company to get you to wear your chaps.
Chaps company sold chaps wholesale to insurance company and insurance company limited liability.
Like I said these classes are paid for by insurance companies and workmens comp.

A-cord-ingLEE said:
JV_Thimble said:
fjord said:

Highly recommended.

Free advertising for the chaps company and a scare tactic used by the insurance company to get you to wear your chaps.
Chaps company sold chaps wholesale to insurance company and insurance company limited liability.
Like I said these classes are paid for by insurance companies and workmens comp.

I was going to guess it somehow related to the note on the chaps to wash before first use - strikes me as odd...

JV_Thimble said:
A-cord-ingLEE said:
JV_Thimble said:
fjord said:

Highly recommended.

I was going to guess it somehow related to the note on the chaps to wash before first use - strikes me as odd...

The responses are what's odd. Very odd.

Anyone who actually uses a saw and PPE (normal for most) that include chaps, know some facts about their use.
Chaps depend on those Kevlar fibers or strings to stop the saw (clog it) before serious damage to flesh. Not including Avatars of course.
For most of us spending time harvesting, managing woodlots, pulping,
clearing blowdowns, those chaps absorb fuel mix, bar oil, sap, dirt. It's what happens out there. When those Kevlar fibers absorb, they are no longer free to clog your sprocket and chain.
Cleaning doesn't help here, although it sounds that some would rather look pretty.
So, for the boys, the "why" . Then, you knew all this, didn't you ?

No "scare tactic" for GOL; do some intelligent research. What does GOL or the CLP training do for professtionals and serious chainsaw users ? Look it up.
Never had a saw bite you ? Never use those sissy chaps ? Don't need to know more that you know from the virtual reality online ?

Chaps are cheap protection. Compare the $$$ to a visit to your favorite ER. NO one makes big bucks on chaps boys.

One and only one of the wiseA$$ comments are partly correct: liability insurance firm do pay for some of the training. Another "why" ? Do some due diligence: tell the blogosphere what you've discovered about all this useless GOL and CLP training.

P.S. No one washes chaps. Period. Why ? Look pretty for the tree gnomes ?

I am interested, but that is pretty far from me. Look like 250 or so miles. It would best be an overnight. I can't arrange time away from work on those dates either. Any chance of doing a little less upstate and in the late May or June when it is easier for me to get time off?

Flatbedford said:
I am interested, but that is pretty far from me. Look like 250 or so miles. It would best be an overnight. I can't arrange time away from work on those dates either. Any chance of doing a little less upstate and in the late May or June when it is easier for me to get time off?

There are 3 levels of competitions in GOL: Professionals, Landowners, University students.
Look for a regional School of Forestry nearby: they may have a GOL program. Also try the GOL site for schedules near you.
Any user who has done the GOL program ( or a more pro one like CLP ) has been enthusiastic about the change in their skill level and increase in enjoyment cutting.

I looked around last year. I even talked to some of the people from the state and there just isn't much offered downstate. Probably not much demand here in suburbia. I'll have to plan ahead and make the trip upstate some time.

Flatbedford said:

165 miles or so.

I'm not married to the Fulton County location, it was what the trainer suggested. If we get enough people we can chose a more central location. Schoharie Co. would be lots closer to you and I wouldn't mind the extra drive at all. There's a few Scary Valley folks that are members, maybe they will show interest. It could be a fun weekend and a chance for some of us to meet and maybe share a few brews after the cutting is done. Walk away with an improved skill set as well.

fjord said:

Anyone who actually uses a saw and PPE (normal for most) that include chaps, know some facts about their use.
Cleaning doesn't help here, although it sounds that some would rather look pretty.

No "scare tactic" for GOL; do some intelligent research. What does GOL or the CLP training do for professtionals and serious chainsaw users ? Look it up.
Never had a saw bite you ? Never use those sissy chaps ? Don't need to know more that you know from the virtual reality online ?

I've yet to run into any guy here that was 'pretty' or 'wanted to look pretty'. Some here were doing some 'intelligent research' until you came along. The reason you knew the riddle - and its answer - is that you took the course. The rest of us are trying to put a course together.

You happen to be in the 'virtual reality online' too . . .so wtf's yer excuse?

:blank:

I have not taken the course. I was asking what they were teaching since there were multiple levels and courses. I'd be interested, but it's a bit far for me. Scary valley would be awesome. I went back to school and could probably get some Cobleskill students there also.

December is bad for me.

Matt

fjord said:
JV_Thimble said:
A-cord-ingLEE said:
JV_Thimble said:
fjord said:

Highly recommended.

Chaps depend on those Kevlar fibers or strings to stop the saw (clog it) before serious damage to flesh. Not including Avatars of course.
clearing blowdowns, those chaps absorb fuel mix, bar oil, sap, dirt. It's what happens out there. When those Kevlar fibers absorb, they are no longer free to clog your sprocket and chain.

Chaps are cheap protection. Compare the $$$ to a visit to your favorite ER. NO one makes big bucks on chaps boys.

One and only one of the wiseA$$ comments are partly correct: liability insurance firm do pay for some of the training. Another "why" ? Do some due diligence: tell the blogosphere what you've discovered about all this useless GOL and CLP training.

Eye did so much intelligent research that I completed all 4 levels Of GOL and the CLP course (late 80's-early90's) prolly before you even gassed yur first chainsaw!
At the completion of the GOL class the top 3 scores recieved all kinds of PPE and saw related tools, INCLUDING CHAPS! GASP!
I got to personally know Tim Ard and had the honor of being personally instructed by Soren Erikson! Those names are prolly pretty insignificant to you but in the logging world they're at the top of the list.

P.S. Eye dohnt wash my chaps!

I don't even wash my underwear, just to be on the safe side

But back on point . . . I don't fell much of anything, but I'd still take the oportunity to learn. Slaughter-ville is closer to me than Amish-land, but I'll go most anywhere.

Did someone say 'Beer'??

EatenByLimestone said:
I have not taken the course. I was asking what they were teaching since there were multiple levels and courses. I'd be interested, but it's a bit far for me. Scary valley would be awesome. I went back to school and could probably get some Cobleskill students there also.

December is bad for me.

Let's work on that area then. Bill said he knows guys with woodlots all across the state, and I'm sure there's plenty of trees still left in the Coby area.... at least there were last week when I was out there. I believe they did one in the Middleburgh area not too long ago.

Later is fine by me. I'm not going to be felling any trees this winter, at least nothing I couldn't drop with a hatchet. Spring would be better than traipsing through a couple feet of snow anyway.

As far as what they are teaching, Bill said Level 1 starts early in the AM with a tailgate session that covers every aspect of safety, saw maintenance and sharpening theory, saw reaction forces, types of cuts and basic felling theory. We will be given several stumps to practice our cuts with, learning to use the marks on the saw to determine bar placement and to sight direction. We will learn to make boring cuts and to utilize that as the primary method for felling, as well as the proper use of wedges. After lunch, we will be given a tree to actually drop (a leaner, I'm pretty sure). We will use everything that we learned previously to develop a felling plan, then a stake will be driven into the ground, the idea being to hit the stake when the tree falls.

Sounds useful, eh?

A-cord-ingLEE said:
fjord said:
JV_Thimble said:
A-cord-ingLEE said:
JV_Thimble said:
fjord" date="1290581059 said:

Highly recommended.

Eye did so much intelligent research that I completed all 4 levels Of GOL and the CLP course (late 80's-early90's) prolly before you even gassed yur first chainsaw!
At the completion of the GOL class the top 3 scores recieved all kinds of PPE and saw related tools, INCLUDING CHAPS! GASP!
I got to personally know Tim Ard and had the honor of being personally instructed by Soren Erikson! Those names are prolly pretty insignificant to you but in the logging world they're at the top of the list.

P.S. Eye dohnt wash my chaps!

Spellcheck can be your friend. You must try it sometime.
Dreams are indeed wonderful, as is the search. Bless that virtual world.

Guess, you're (yur) right on: my first chainsaw was from Toys 'R Us, just last Monday. How'd you know ?

And, please, please wash those chaps.....now.

See? Now I thought back in the day of the MSN chat room, Iggy was my friend. Looks like he's still of some use today. :blank:

f-jord

Spellcheck haz never be my friend!

Brick wall in botum uf very deep vallee = headache,,, morunlikeLEE methinx!

GO HERE,,,, http://www.hocking.edu/programs/forest
and get peec-o-paper that sez U did and then we'll talk further,,,,,, mayB!

Status
Not open for further replies.