Gap between brick and chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AaronN

Nov 11, 2019
Petoskey, Michigan
Very happy to find this forum. I have an old Fisher woodstove in a house we recently bought. The 8" pipe feeds horizontally into a brick wall to a masonry chimney.

I was cleaning things out last week and noticed after pulling the pipe from the wall, there was a small, finger-width gap where the brick met the ceramic chimney. It looked like there maybe have been some cement there that perhaps had broken, but I saw no evidence in the clean-out.

The red dots in the drawing below mark where this gap sits. My questions are:

1. Is this alarming? Perhaps all the heat and smoke get sent to the chimney, so maybe not?
I went to the attic to see if there was any evidence of heat/smoke etc from above the wall and saw nothing.

2. Proper solution and/or most logical remedy?

aaron-stove.jpg

Last edited: