Gap Between Fireplace Tile and Drywall - How to cover/fill?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

camdecoster

May 7, 2014
Denver, CO
I have a gap between the tile of my fireplace and the drywall around it. You can see it in the attached picture. Can anyone suggest how I could fill this gap or cover it up? I'd prefer to fill it with something to keep the wall and tile in the same plane with no protrusions. At the moment, I'm looking at using a sanded caulk the same color as the grout.

Attachments

• IMG_20140613_091628_630.jpg
    IMG_20140613_091628_630.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 224
Caulk is a good plan.

That's unusual. The unit should be set so that drywall or cement board come out flush with the unit. Then the tile is placed over that, this way it also covers some of the black face of the fireplace. Kinda strange, I wonder how it ended up flush with the framing? I'm afraid caulking will look a little hokey.

Why not matching grout?
It'll crack. You cant really grout areas like that without it cracking. Kinda like tile bathrooms, corners always crack if grouts used. Sanded caulk grout is should be used because it can flex. Next time your in a tiled restraunt bathroom look at the corners, they are usually just grouted and cracked.

There is little harm in trying caulk but I kind of think you are going to want to trim it out eventually. Maybe I'm too pessimistic but the paper facing of untrimmed, cut drywall (which is what that looks like to me judging from the picture, but it is a little hard to be sure) always seems to separate from the gypsum interior over time if not immediately and caulk will never solve that problem.
You could be the one of the few, lucky people that doesn't happen to, but none of those people has yet been me.

The younger me would have caulked it, the older me would just trim it out to begin with and save myself the caulking job.

If there is something like corner bead or drywall tape even, covering the gypsum that abuts the tile in the crack then I would probably go ahead and caulk it though. A little investigation with a flash light and thin blade would be my first step. If the gypsum layer is not covered I wood trim it out.

'

It'll crack. You cant really grout areas like that without it cracking. Kinda like tile bathrooms, corners always crack if grouts used. Sanded caulk grout is should be used because it can flex. Next time your in a tiled restraunt bathroom look at the corners, they are usually just grouted and cracked.

See, this is why I always get myself in trouble. Spent months doing a drywall project. Never looked quite right. Finally brought someone in to fix it, thinking he would just add to what I did. Nope. Tore the whole thing out and started over. My wife laughed. I did too.

If that's flush, I would buy the matching caulk from the grout store and fill it flush. It's the best you can do without adding another piece of trim over the whole seam which is plan B if you don't like the caulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.