Gap between Flue Tile and Crown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
Earlier this week, I gave the Chimney the best sweep I've ever given it.....usually a quick scrub on the way down, and another on the way back up....this time, I would do a couple of feet, scrub a full minute, then go another couple of feet, and scrub again.....got a lot of crap in the firebox (all flakey, no chunks)...anyhow, I noticed that there is a small gap / space between the Flue Tile, and the Cement Crown.....less than 1/8 inch.....I'm thinking this is probably okay, but want to ask the experts, and if it needs to be caulked, what do I use ???

I've always caulked it using any good quality silicone.

Yeah caulk it. You don't want water running down in that thing. And worse, freezing and expanding in the gap.

Yes, definetly caulk it! It uncommon to have an expansion joint there, your lucky. They should all have one but most often don't resulting in a cracked flue tile and busted crown. Caulk it with either good quality silicone or my favorite is concrete crack sealer from quickrete. It stays pliable and is approved as expansion joint filler for cement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys......I'll get it done this week, probably use concrete crack sealer from quickrete.....I may actually have some.

Status
Not open for further replies.