Gap between wood stove/single wall chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ws1511

Nov 6, 2021
Vermont
Hi—
Recently noticed a few small gaps where the top of my wood stove connects to a single wall chimney. The largest gap is not insignificant, a crack maybe 3/4 cm long. This is a pretty DIY setup in a small cabin we're in while we work on building a real house — it's an old Jotul 602 stove, which itself has some small cracks, and the whole setup is a bit janky — but this seems potentially a little more significant. I noticed it when starting fires, as I realized I could see the reflection of a bit of flame on the top of the stove.

I'm wondering if this can realistically be patched, even to give us another year or so. Furnace cement?

Couple photos attached to make clearer. Thank you!

Resized_20221221_104616.jpeg Resized_20221221_104626.jpeg Resized_20221221_104632.jpeg Resized_20221221_104640.jpeg Resized_20221221_104649.jpeg

Hi—
Recently noticed a few small gaps where the top of my wood stove connects to a single wall chimney. The largest gap is not insignificant, a crack maybe 3/4 cm long. This is a pretty DIY setup in a small cabin we're in while we work on building a real house — it's an old Jotul 602 stove, which itself has some small cracks, and the whole setup is a bit janky — but this seems potentially a little more significant. I noticed it when starting fires, as I realized I could see the reflection of a bit of flame on the top of the stove.

I'm wondering if this can realistically be patched, even to give us another year or so. Furnace cement?

Couple photos attached to make clearer. Thank you!

View attachment 305768 View attachment 305769 View attachment 305770 View attachment 305771 View attachment 305772
Yeah that adapter is completely shot no patching it. It's hard to tell but it looks like you may have clearance issues as well

Yeah thanks. Figured that was probably the case. @bholler could you clarify "clearance issues" ?
How much space do you have between the stove and any combustible material? (The wall etc)

Did the chimney get a cap or is it still capless?

How much space do you have between the stove and any combustible material? (The wall etc)
Ah thanks. That's all OK except for one spot I'm repairing. I wondered if you meant where the pipe meets the stove there's some clearance issue, and didn't understand that.

Ah thanks. That's all OK except for one spot I'm repairing. I wondered if you meant where the pipe meets the stove there's some clearance issue, and didn't understand that.
Ok it was hard to tell from the pics. What clearances do you have

Ok it was hard to tell from the pics. What clearances do you have
I'm not there and can't remember offhand but went over this recently. Whatever the minimum is (6"?) I have nearly everywhere—just should adjust one spot where it's closer to 3"

I'm not there and can't remember offhand but went over this recently. Whatever the minimum is (6"?) I have nearly everywhere—just should adjust one spot where it's closer to 3"
The minimum absolutely is not 6" the pipe itself needs 18

Yes correct; was adjusting the double wall upstairs too, got my numbers mixed.
Upstairs it should be chimney pipe which would be 2"