1. sardo_67

sardo_67
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 19, 2017
    Loc:
    mid CT
    ok new question....
    garage floor coatings/paints/epoxy ideas and products, what have you guys used?
    my floor was poured in like 1960, not coated or polished, rough, not cracking, some decent soaked in oill in 2 spots from cars.

so i don't need to grind it or use acid to open it back up to soak in the material, however i will need to really clean the oil spots, so i am expecting that.

garage will be used a lot for jeep and car work, grinding, welding, parking, small spot for a gym, the usual stuff, not a show room for things i don't work on so while i want it to look nice it's not a showroom.

i'd prefer something easy to roll on that will last, not looking for the color flakes as those make finding bolts and other dropped parts harder to find.

suggestions?

2. semipro

semipro
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2009
    Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Smart - something I hadn't considered.
    I've spent way too much of my life already looking for something I dropped.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Make sure you don't have moisture egress into the bottom of the floor. That is the MOST important thing. After that, get it level and give it a good washing or bead blast and vacuum clean. It must be completely dry.

Only use 2 part epoxies.

I can't say enough good things about PPG products. I consider a good primer an absolute must to seal, level, and give the top coat of epoxy something to hold on to. It is almost impossible to get any lift (besides under grade moisture) when using a good primer.

This is a very good base.
    upload_2018-6-13_10-34-34.png

Here is a pic I took of the base already down and the industrial conveyor gray going over the top of it. This was one of the may epoxy projects I did at work.

upload_2018-6-13_10-37-44.png

Final result.

1 base coat clear. 2 top coats colored.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sardo_67

sardo_67
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 19, 2017
    Loc:
    mid CT
    where do you buy yours from? google gives me some info but no where to actually buy it

5. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    You have to buy it through distribution or on the internet.

https://www.ppgpaints.com/store-locator

If that doesn't work for you, call Purcells in Syracuse, NY and ask them were to by in CT. They have been my go-to for all things epoxy. Great family business.

This is expensive stuff. It will be about triple the cost of a kit you buy at home depot. The primer is about the same price, but covers really well.

6. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    I think Sherwin Williams has a similar product line. They usually can sell the industrial stuff through the retail side with a lot less hoops to jump through. I have mixed my own in the past, most epoxy floor coatings are just standard epoxy for the primer with a coloring agent and diatomaceous earth filler in the top coats. If you want some traction they broadcast quartz sand in the topcoat.

Whatever you do is follow the safety rules when you apply it. It really doesn't smell nasty so some folks take shortcuts. They may be able to get away with it early on but they also can come up with sudden allergy to it and once you get it you can never work with it again without risking severe health effects. The usual recommendation is tyvek suits, rubber gloves, good ventilation and a respirator with the right type of cartridge.

7. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I’ve done several, and the only thing I’ll use anymore is a high-solids two-part amine epoxy like epoxycoat.com. Go with the two coat system, clear over color, if you’re staying there any amount of time. You can sand out and redo the clear any time, without having to touch the color coat or flake. Make sure you get the griptex, or whatever they call their grip material (should be included in the clear kit). This stuff isn’t cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for.