Gardus Sooteater stuck in 6" flue pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I probably confused everyone with my description...and I do my best R n D by making a prototype...so here are some pics...I mock tried it out in a piece of new 6" pipe on the table (wife came home and caught me ;em;lol) and it worked perfectly, scooped my mock "stuck SE rod" right up! ==c Some tweaking may be needed according to what you have around for "raw materials", and what you can actually get up the flue, etc.
Duct tape around the edges of where I cut the hole for the scoop/flap, just because you couldn't really see it in the pics otherwise.
IMG_20191001_185148999.jpg IMG_20191001_185200972.jpg IMG_20191001_185216043.jpg IMG_20191001_185254428.jpg IMG_20191001_185331275.jpg IMG_20191001_185343619.jpg IMG_20191001_185351176.jpg IMG_20191001_185355596.jpg

Last edited:
OK, been thinking about this one a little...here is an idea...just try to follow me here...this is some "for real" outside the box thinking! ;lol
Get a piece of some plastic that is "stiff-ish", but flexible...I'm thinking some sort of empty plastic food container...or drink bottle, around 4-5" in diameter. Poke a Sooteater rod sized hole in the top and bottom, offset clear to one side. Now cut about 1/4 to 1/3 of the whole side, top to bottom out (opposite the SE rod hole) including some of the top and bottom, in a fashion to make a "scoop". Think of it like this, put your hand straight out with your fingers slightly curved, like you were going to dig a hole in the sand by hand...that is kinda the shape I'm thinking of. Now stick the SE rod through the previously made holes and duct tape your "scoop", or "hook tool" to the rod...use plenty of tape...no need for anything else to come apart in there! ;lol
Now, what I am thinking is that if you stick this in there while turning "against" the direction of your scoop (or "backwards") you should be able to add rods until you get up to the end of the hung up tool. Now start turning it the other direction, so that your tool can possibly scoop up the stuck SE rod off the wall of the liner...assuming it is stuck at the 22.5* elbow, this scooping action, along with gravity, maybe enough to get it to drop down within reach.
A bore scope could help too...but I'd try this first, even without one.
Hope this makes sense...if not, I can make one and take a pic...
Thank you so much. Makes sense and worth a try. Might not have time until the weekend.

I probably confused everyone with my description...and I do my best R n D by making a prototype...so here are some pics...I mock tried it out in a piece of new 6" pipe on the table (wife came home and caught me ;em;lol) and it worked perfectly, scooped my mock "stuck SE rod" right up! ==c Some tweaking may be needed according to what you have around for "raw materials", and what you can actually get up the flue, etc.
Duct tape around the edges of where I cut the hole for the scoop/flap, just because you couldn't really see it in the pics otherwise.
View attachment 248438 View attachment 248439 View attachment 248440 View attachment 248441 View attachment 248442 View attachment 248443 View attachment 248444 View attachment 248445
So awesome I love that you built the prototype! I don't think I will have time until the weekend to try this but I'm loving the idea and will give it a try this weekend . Extremely extremely nice of you to take the time . Love that you added that your wife caught you.

Last edited:
Reactions: brenndatomu
I dont know if this would work but it's worth a shot if it wont tear your liner. Maybe a pair of snub nose pliers....spring loaded handle if you have them....with one handle wired to the top of rods you have. Even tape them to make sure they dont come off. Push up past brush and handle of pliers should open back up with resistance against brush when you pull back down. Like I said not saying it will work but hey.

Reactions: davidmsem
Not that I have done this before but why not tye a cord around the top of the new head about 2 feet long. Push it up and turn your drill on. The cord should wrap around the stuck rods. Then pull.

FYI, I believe the sooteater instruction state not to trim the whips for a round liner.

Not that I have done this before but why not tye a cord around the top of the new head about 2 feet long. Push it up and turn your drill on. The cord should wrap around the stuck rods. Then pull.

FYI, I believe the sooteater instruction state not to trim the whips for a round liner.
Tie an extension cord on instead of a cord (rope)...they get caught on everything! ;lol

I bought one of those cheap 30' wifi boroscopes off Amazon and it works great, if you have a smartphone.

I used it just the other day to look up above a light fixture into a sealed-off part of the attic.

It almost sounds like you could buy a cheap chimney brush and brush it out from the top. Are the bends close enough to reach from the bottom if you push the sooteater down to them with the brush?

I bought one of those cheap 30' wifi boroscopes off Amazon and it works great, if you have a smartphone.

I used it just the other day to look up above a light fixture into a sealed-off part of the attic.

It almost sounds like you could buy a cheap chimney brush and brush it out from the top. Are the bends close enough to reach from the bottom if you push the sooteater down to them with the brush?
The bends are near the bottom, but the chimney is very high and a very steep roof so I don't want to go up there and risk falling .

We need some ferrets here!

Ah . . . memories. Haven't heard mention of the ferrets for quite some time. Perfect timing to bring them back.

GOT IT!!! Attached a paint can hook to the end of the remaining pieces poked around up there twisted turn and then looked up and could see the bottom of it! Reached in with vice grips and fished around and eventually grab the bottom .

It appeared to be maybe a foot past the beginning turns , perhaps just right at the end of the first couple of turns .

20191002_194941.jpg 20191002_194948.jpg

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

David

Last edited:
A paint can hook...yes! K.I.S.S.!
Excellent! :cool:

GOT IT!!! Attached a paint can hook to the end of the remaining pieces poked around up there twisted turn and then looked up and could see the bottom of it! Reached in with vice grips and fished around and eventually grab the bottom .

It appeared to be maybe a foot pass the beginning turns , perhaps just right at the end of the first couple of turns .

View attachment 248491 View attachment 248492

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

David
Yay. Congratulations!

I still would have liked to have seen some furry ferrets fleetly furrowing in the flue. Oh well, next time.
It sounds like maybe there is an old story behind this ferret thing...care to share?

Running joke from a long time ago with greatly missed moderator Rick Booth aka Fossil who passed a year ago. The theme kept popping up. If you search ferret you'll find some fun threads.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Running joke from a long time ago with greatly missed moderator Rick Booth aka Fossil who passed a year ago. The theme kept popping up. If you search ferret you'll find some fun threads.

Fossil was a great guy. I miss his comments here.

In other news . . . congrats on getting the Sooteater.