GARN Vermont approval expires in March

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim K in PA

Minister of Fire
I came upon an interesting document: http://www.vtwoodsmoke.org/cert/Dectra_Garn_Cert.pdf

Basically it is an interim approval letter for operating GARN WHS 1350, 1500 and 2000 units in Vermont up until 31 March 2009. Does anyone know if they have completed ASTM testing to get their "final" approval? The only ASTM standard I can find online is the 2008 version of E2618.

I also cannot find anything on line regarding the GARN biomass (chip) units. Does anyone know anything about them?

Jim K in PA said:
I came upon an interesting document: http://www.vtwoodsmoke.org/cert/Dectra_Garn_Cert.pdf

Basically it is an interim approval letter for operating GARN WHS 1350, 1500 and 2000 units in Vermont up until 31 March 2009. Does anyone know if they have completed ASTM testing to get their "final" approval? The only ASTM standard I can find online is the 2008 version of E2618.

I spoke with the distributor in this region, and he said that the ASTM standards are not finalized, so the testing has not been completed. He also said that Vermont has been very easy to work with, so they don't expect that there will be an issue if they are hung up by that and need an extension for issues obviously out of their control. Sounds like the folks they have been dealing with are actively interested in making sure that quality equipment gets used and approved, so they've been making sure to keep abreast of the situation, and work with manufacturers who are clearly acting in good faith to meet the standards (just as soon as those standards are formalized!).

Jim K in PA said:
I also cannot find anything on line regarding the GARN biomass (chip) units. Does anyone know anything about them?

I also asked him about that, and he said it derives from an error by a student who published a research paper on the Garn. There were no chip units; that was just an error on the student's part, in writing the paper, but it has spread around since its writing, and continues to be noticed on occasion.

Joe

10-4 on the VT approval. Thanks for the insight Joe. E2618-08 as published does not contain any updates via the ASTM web site, but I thought there might have been some movement by now. It's not really surprising there hasn't been any. Most standards writing bodies can use a dose of technical laxative . . . :lol:

I wonder if Martin might take up the challenge of developing a chip/biomass version of the GARN. I found nothing hinting of such a beast in his patent catalogue, but with the uptick in sales and popularity of the GARN, there might be enough capital for him to try some prototypes. We need a US based chip boiler for smaller apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.