Garrison One Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood stove - one

Jan 31, 2016
Michigan
I have a Garrison One wood stove, which is in excellent shape. Just a little rust on the top. I'm planning on refinishing and was wondering when it was manufactured "1980", would it have been painted or polished. Mine appears to be unfinished cast iron. Anyway to confirm?

Need pictures, but I believe all Garrison Stoves are steel plate. Only the doors are cast iron. They are painted as well. It should be a one piece welded stove. A cast iron stove is cast with many pieces and bolted together. They will have a rough finish unlike smooth steel plate.
Keep polish away ! It is not for use on plate or smooth machined cast. Water goes right through stove polish, unlike paint.
You can tell if someone applied stove polish by wiping with soapy water or mineral spirits. It wipes off the surface easily, but it's not all gone easily. Once fired it gets into the pores and is almost impossible to remove. Lacquer thinner, wire wheel and heat...... and a rag wipe still comes up black.

Need pictures, but I believe all Garrison Stoves are steel plate. Only the doors are cast iron. They are painted as well. It should be a one piece welded stove. A cast iron stove is cast with many pieces and bolted together. They will have a rough finish unlike smooth steel plate.
Keep polish away ! It is not for use on plate or smooth machined cast. Water goes right through stove polish, unlike paint.
You can tell if someone applied stove polish by wiping with soapy water or mineral spirits. It wipes off the surface easily, but it's not all gone easily. Once fired it gets into the pores and is almost impossible to remove. Lacquer thinner, wire wheel and heat...... and a rag wipe still comes up black.

Coaly, I've got a picture and a manufacture's plate attached for your review.
Let me know what your think - Thanks,

Attachments

• Garrison One 1980 wood burning stove.jpg
    Garrison One 1980 wood burning stove.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 1,202
  • Garrison One Maurfacturer plate.jpg
    Garrison One Maurfacturer plate.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,016
Painted steel plate.
Heat lightens high heat stove paint over time. They can actually get white at the hot spots.
Wire wheel or sand any rusty spots and wipe with Mineral Spirits or Lacquer Thinner before painting. Fire stove for final cure.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/garrison-stoves/

Status
Not open for further replies.