Gas Cooking Stove - indoor air pollution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Reactions: SpaceBus
Most of todays new homes require, by code in a lot of areas, an air exchange system. Truth be told I prefer a gas cook top vs electric but I prefer an electric oven. Gas Cook top -when i turn off the heat its off except for a bit of the grates- electric quite a bit longer to cool down over heating or burning things. I have one of those glass top electric stoves at present- that puppy stays hot a long time. Do not know why I prefer the electric oven other than it seems more even overall than gas. I do shut it down early as there is plenty of residual heat to finish whatever. Kind stuck at present as it's all electric or gas as far as stoves as I have seen no combinations. Prior places were cook tops, ovens separate. I am not about to redo another kitchen _ not worth it resale wise. I always have a direct vent hood over stove- some of these new hoods have so much CFM you can suck all the heat away from the cooking area. Anything above apx 500 cfm is too much imo. i have heard this particular argument many times before, gas vs electric. Was a time when electric was cheaper than Lp or Ng- now not so much. Around my area electric is provided by burning petroleum products or coal for the most part- so no green comments needed.

Dual Fuel is so popular because it makes sense: The rapid response of a gas hob, with the even and consistent heat of an electric oven. We're at a point where our range's oven (it's all gas) has died. I'd be looking at a dual fuel unit if they weren't so much more expensive, so as it is, we're looking at an all gas unit with a convection system in the oven, One burner cooking a pot of noodles isn't going to do anything calculable to the indoor air quality; but 3 burners and the oven all going at once likely would. But that's why we have range hoods though, not just for smelly cooking .

Yikes, I just did a quick look at HD for dual fuel ranges. Those numbers are astronomical particularly since nothing seems to last more than 5 years now days. I don't know about anyone else but tossing $500 a year away on an appliance is not sustainable. Back in the day one could count on major appliances lasting 15 years or more and likely never have any type of service needed.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The gas industry apparently is paying people to "influence" folks via instagram on how good cooking with gas is.

Unlike a conventional advertisement, "influencers" do not have to disclose they are being paid to plug a product. Many celebrities "rent" their followers for a fee.

We have an induction range and love it. When we moved out of our last rental house I timed the propane "power burner" versus our new induction stove; the induction boils water in one third of the time. I also love that I can just pick a number and know exactly how much heat I will be getting. Much less wasted heat than even a resistive electric range.

Some day I will get an induction stove top, just hard to junk my existing calrod style stove top since I like the oven.

I feel this indoor air quality bandwagon is more distraction-ism at work. Permit me to climb onto my soapbox for a minute: They penalize pilot lights on gas heaters, air quality over gas cook tops and ranges and put everyone's focus on things that have little to do with what's causing the big issues (Ocean traffic not being regulated for emissions, cruise lines pumping their CO/CO2 into the ocean, Airline emissions). I mean, how many low income communities, where asthma rates are higher, would have anything but an electric range anyway? (I can only speak locally, but realistically I can't seem them doing this for areas with high turnover rates). These condominiums, tenements and rental units aren't typically well serviced for gas.

It's like much media, inventing a problem where none really exist. As far as I'm concerned, everyone should treat all Instagram influenzas as shills, they're all trying to sell you something, even if it is just envy for their fancy living. Most modern homes have air exchange systems, and everyone sort of ignores the fact that these things don't run continuous. I'd have more issues with Vent Free heaters and gas logs/fireplaces, as those things run at full levels for hours at a time. Unless your simmering a soup or stew all day you aren't running your cook top for more than 20-30 minutes anyway.