Gas fireplace - pilot light question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinder

Hearth Supporter
Two schools of thought on whether the pilot light stays on in the summer.

1. OFF - no need to burn fuel in warm weather
2. ON - keeps the humidity out that might cause . rust??

Opinions??

BTW - We purchased a Mendota - here it is slightly unfinished. Not sure what will go above it - NOT a TV! Worst place for a TV I feel. Especially a 52 inch one LOL

We close Thursday and had our final walk through today!! Move in June 2

http://www.grinderswarehouse.com/fire.jpg

Looking good Grinder. If this is in an air conditioned interior then I wouldn't worry too much about the humidity. The AC system is a big dehumidifier.

PS: I'm assuming there's a bottom trim plate coming that hides the gas line and valve, correct?

Neat set-up!

Here are a few I heard a Rep laughing about, although it is true;

Keeping the pilot on will keep spiders and bugs out.
It will keep air from getting into the gas line.

I turn mine off as soon as I'm done using the fireplace for the season. Another thing to think about is that the pilot is about 1,700 BTU's. I bet if you put your hand up to the glass you'll find that the pilot alone produces more heat than you're appreciating. My Master BR is about 600 sq ft, and there is a noticeable temp difference in the room when the pilot is running. I'd also keep in mind that you may actually be adding more moisture to your firebox and flue by keeping the pilot on since water is a byproduct of combustion. Lastly, granted a pilot should last a few years, it's still like a light bulb and will eventually burn out the thermocouple or thermopile. My advise would be to think of it like a porch light and turn it off when it's not needed. :coolsmile:

My $0.02.

Personally I would turn it off, but that's only because I know how to fix it if something happens. Keeping it on does help prevent rust, spiders, debris buildup in the pilot, etc... Turning it off saves you about $10 a month in gas plus the electric the AC uses to compete with the heat from the pilot. Some people have no problems turning it off every summer and some people after they turn it off one year it wont start again in the fall. It seems to depend on the environment and the house, or... maybe its just random failure. I do know one thing for sure, the more you heat up and cool down the thermocouple, the faster it will fail.

Yea - that photo was before the final walk through.

I was a little surprised at the remote though - I though it was more then an on off switch - I THOUGH it had all sorts of other functions like fan and temp gauge.

Does Mendota have different remotes??

Keeping the pilot on will keep the system working longer from my experince as it was stated it will keep bugs and other unwanted out of the system most of the mendota pilots are about a 1000 btus and the cost of the gas will be made up in the cost of service calls over the years that can be quite costly we recomend that the pilot stays on all year and have very few request for start up calls in the fall and replace very few thermocouples and themopiles that are less then five years old

I agree with stoveguy, on all points. I have seen much less maintenance on units that are left running all the time. The thermal couples seem to last longer, the pilot and burner orfices stay clear, and animals stay out of the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.