Gas fireplace question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chrisrich93

Jan 31, 2022
Missouri
Hi everyone. We bought a house a couple months ago and while we had a general inspection I didn't have the fireplace/chimney inspected by a chimney sweep/inspector. The inspector said the fireplace hadn't been used in at least 5 years. The gas logs were installed by the owner before the previous owners. The previous owners said they had not used them in their ownership which was about 6 years. We're going to go through a cold snap this week and I would like to be able to use the fireplace if safe. I swept it as best I could to get the loose flakey stuff out but there seems to still be some more hardened tar in the flue. There are no cracks in the flue from what I can see. My question is would I be ok to run this fireplace in its current state or does it need a full professional cleaning? Thanks for your input!
Fireplace.jpeg
Flue Bottom L.jpeg