gas insert vibration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lati_cz

Mar 17, 2014
sunnyvale
I just purchased and installed Empire DVL33IN73N, I followed instructions and did not have any problems installing. When I turn fireplace on, the burner vibrates and the glass get foggy. The vibration lasts several seconds and slowly goes away and the glass gets clear. It burns normally afterwords.
I called manufacturer, they suggested there's not enough air coming in - I checked intake duct it's clear and there are no bends. Any ideas whoa could cause the vibrations?
Thank you Michal

I just purchased and installed Empire DVL33IN73N, I followed instructions and did not have any problems installing. When I turn fireplace on, the burner vibrates and the glass get foggy. The vibration lasts several seconds and slowly goes away and the glass gets clear. It burns normally afterwords.
I called manufacturer, they suggested there's not enough air coming in - I checked intake duct it's clear and there are no bends. Any ideas whoa could cause the vibrations?
Thank you Michal

The fogging of the glass is common with gas burning units. The glass is cold & when the moisture in the gas is released by the combustion process, it'll adhere to the glass just like the moisture from a hot shower does to your bathroom mirror.
The vibration is NOT normal. Is the unit sitting securely in place? Can you rock it at all with your hands? It may be that it's not stationary enough until the exhaust liner expands from the heat & pushes the back of the unit down slightly...Just a guess here...

Reactions: yooperdave
The fogging of the glass is common with gas burning units. The glass is cold & when the moisture in the gas is released by the combustion process, it'll adhere to the glass just like the moisture from a hot shower does to your bathroom mirror.
The vibration is NOT normal. Is the unit sitting securely in place? Can you rock it at all with your hands? It may be that it's not stationary enough until the exhaust liner expands from the heat & pushes the back of the unit down slightly...Just a guess here...
The unit sits cecurely. Only burner vibrates/rattles, not the whole unit.

Hmm. I think I'd shut it down, let it cool & get in there to see what's loose. Maybe something got moved/ loosened druing shipment, or something was not adequately secured during assembly...

their burners a full of some kind of ceramic balls, it may not be anything you can fix.
but a little noise during start up of pilots or burners isn't atypical. if it only lasts a few seconds is it really that annoying?

Status
Not open for further replies.