Gas Insert vs Gas Fireplace - What's the difference?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmudda

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2009
Western Pennsylvania
I havea POS masonry fireplace that's useless to me for a number of reasons. I am looking at installing a gas something inside of it to make it somewhat useful to the family. I have a Lopi Liberty in the basement burning away so I have my wood fix, I'm looking now for the living room and want the ease of use and no mess of gas.

Just as the title says, what's the difference between these two units?

Craig

Just that. An insert is designed to fit in a pre-existing structure. The fireplace can be located almost anywhere you can frame the structure for it & vent it to the outside. Some fireplaces can be installed in masonry structures, if they'll fit & you can attach the vent, either up the existing flue or out thru the back wall. Regency makes fireplace units that can have flexible liners attached...

Reactions: Ironhorse74
Status
Not open for further replies.