Gas Log in a Superior Heatform

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jkaero

Jan 15, 2017
NH
I have an old Superior Heatform pre-far firebox that I would like to install a gas log into. Has anyone done this? I am most worried about running the gas line through the wall of the Heatform, where is the best place to run it? I dont have the manual for the Heatform, can anyone share one? I would like to get a better idea of the design of the whole heatform before I drill a whole.

Thanks

Can you post a pic of the inside of the firebox so we can see what you're up against?
I have installed a couple dozen gas logs & not all of them are cut & dried.

Pics attached, it has not been burned in a long time and I know it looks a bit rough. The metal is very solid, nothing has weakened it.

I know the heatform fireplace has ducting all around it that i would like to keep (it would still be effective with a gas log).

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20170116_193305.jpg
    IMG_20170116_193305.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20170116_193316.jpg
    IMG_20170116_193316.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_20170116_193410.jpg
    IMG_20170116_193410.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 197
What is behind the firebox? Is it the outside of the building, or is there another room behind it?
You probably have a DOUBLE steel box (one within the other), & you will have to punch through
BOTH walls to get the gas line in. The hole should be at the rear of the inner box, in the side wall,
& as low as possible in the wall. You may have to drill from inside & outside to get through both.
If you can get through both with a pilot bit say a long 1/4" or 3/8" metal cutting drill, that will ensure
that the holes in both are in alignment. You can run flexible CSS gas line (Tracpipe, Ward Flex or
similar) from the nearest hard pipe after installing a gas shut-off & a sediment trap (drip tee) into the
firebox & make the connection to the gas log set.

is the vent below the hearth for the heatilator as i assume?
if so the upper vents should not have been covered up....

the heatilator ducting appears to be covered, so you wont get any heat out of it....

The vent below is for the intake for the blower. The upper vents arent actually sealed, the horizontal piece is just facial and set away from the wall allowing air to blow out of the top and bottom.