Gas logs - damper clamp question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dynasty

Oct 26, 2020
Ohio
Hello,

I have a safety question regarding the damper clamp on my fireplace. Can the damper clamp be removed? The damper will be fully opened when the fireplace is in use. The damper will be fully closed when the fireplace is not used (and fully cooled off). I am the only person operating the fireplace and there is no way to forget to open the damper when using the fireplace. I do not like the fact that the damper is clamped fully open and letting cold/hot air in/out when the fireplace is not in use. Glass doors are installed on the fireplace, but I doubt that does a significant job of keeping air from entering the room when the fireplace is not in use. Will I be making a mistake by removing the damper clamp?

If you have a standing pilot, you MUST have a damper clamp.
It should allow you to close it the damper to only 1/2" open, tho.
If you take a closer look at it, you will see how it's attached.
Your doors will mostly keep warm air IN. Natural convection should
keep cold air out in most instances.

Hello,

I have a safety question regarding the damper clamp on my fireplace. Can the damper clamp be removed? The damper will be fully opened when the fireplace is in use. The damper will be fully closed when the fireplace is not used (and fully cooled off). I am the only person operating the fireplace and there is no way to forget to open the damper when using the fireplace. I do not like the fact that the damper is clamped fully open and letting cold/hot air in/out when the fireplace is not in use. Glass doors are installed on the fireplace, but I doubt that does a significant job of keeping air from entering the room when the fireplace is not in use. Will I be making a mistake by removing the damper clamp?
There are two types of log set. Vented, and unvented. Technically speaking, if it is rated as vent free, you can close the damper. If it is rated to be vented, per the the manufacturer you are supposed to keep the clamp on there.
That being said, if I had a log set, I would be doing exactly what you are thinking of. I would probably wire a switch into the damper, so it cannot be turned on without the damper being open.

But I am not a fan of Log sets! The only ideal scenario for a log set in my opinion, is when you want to have a fire on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Open the damper, turn it on and have a nice roaring fire, with no heat.

Vent free log set with the damper closed= terrible idea! A fire burns up oxygen, and releases carbon dioxide, just like you . The fire is in direct competition with you . Just that fact alone should keep anybody from using it for heating. That's without taking into consideration carbon monoxide, moisture in your house, the nasty smell of vent free, and a whole other host of compounds that a fire puts out.

Sorry for the rant, but it had to come out.

Last edited: