Gas pump with one hose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it ok to run 50:1 in a modern 4 stroke engine?

Diluted by 20 gallons of straight gas I don't think it would be a problem. Would I mix up 34 gallons of 50:1 for the truck, prolly not. ;)

FWIW: I prefer the fuel disposal unit that also mows the grass. ==c

Reactions: Realstone
All of the crap gas that comes out of the bikes I work on goes into the tractor.
Green death gas appears to have no affect on my tractor.
Just as long as it keeps hauling wood for me...

Reactions: n6crv
I have run some 2 stroke mix in small engines when I ran out of reg gas and it seems to work ok. Though I also ran diesel in a mower and pressure washer by mistake one weekend too. Ran ok, though was hard to get started!
All I know is when you label something gas, don't put diesel in without re marking the label!

And no I didn't notice the smell when I poured it in, I work on diesels enough I guess I don't really smell it anymore.

Reactions: n6crv
Though I also ran diesel in a mower and pressure washer by mistake one weekend too. Ran ok, though was hard to get started!
??? Are you saying they actually ran on diesel, or that they ran ok after swapping out the diesel for gasoline?

They ran on diesel. The mower I put almost 4 gallons in too so it took a while to use it all.

??? Are you saying they actually ran on diesel, or that they ran ok after swapping out the diesel for gasoline?

They ran on diesel. The mower I put almost 4 gallons in too so it took a while to use it all.

I made this mistake years ago (when diesel had the same diameter handle as regular gas). Pumped about 8 gallons of diesel into an old 1977 Cordoba (360). Realized the mistake and filled the rest of the tank with premium fuel. It ran, but ran like crap. Took forever to run that tank of fuel out.;lol

I run regular 87 octane gasohol in everything...haven't had any ill effects yet.

Check local listings, but the 89 octane is probably gasohol too.

Some old farmers I used to work for would run a small amount of diesel in their gas trucks/tractors every so often. I don't remember the ratio, but it was probably 40:1. They claimed it cleaned out the engine. It might be a bunch of crap, but they had 400K miles on an old 454 Chevy that never had an easy day in its life.

Back in the late 70's early 80's Dad used to run 25% diesel in his cars as diesel cost a lot less back then. And I remember one time with my uncle when he ran out of gas heading to the farm and dumped 4 gal of diesel in his 460 Lincoln to get to the next gas station. It ran on it but he left it running when he filled it with gas. He said if he had shut it off it would not start again.

Billy

Farm I worked for as a teenager bought a new (2001) Chevy 3500 with what was supposed to be a DuraMax diesel. Since the dealership didn't fill the tanks with fuel (we must have beat 'em up good on that deal ==c ) that was the first thing the farm manager did when he got back. Turns out we pumped 55 gallons of diesel fuel into a brand-new truck that had a Vortec 8100 (496 cu in big block, hell yeah >>) in it. After draining as much as he could out, he filled it up with gas and took off, it sputtered a few times, and ran great ever since. Guy that handed over the keys at the dealership said "Yeah they make 'em run quiet now...." :confused::rolleyes:

Reactions: Cowboy Billy
My boss bougth one of those 8100's on the farm with a dump body - thirsty beast.
Not much better was the Triton V-10 he leased the previous spring.
Nowadays you'd probably have to make 3-4 deliveries before you break even on the daily fuel bill

When I was 14 I worked in a Texaco station that didn't get a lot of business because of high price. Between cars coming in to fill up I would drain the hoses into my five gallon can on the pump island. Hardly ever had to buy gas for that ole Chevy.

When I was 14 I worked in a Texaco station that didn't get a lot of business because of high price. Between cars coming in to fill up I would drain the hoses into my five gallon can on the pump island. Hardly ever had to buy gas for that ole Chevy.

So how many times did it take to fill the gas can?

Sounds like your just the person to answer the original question!

So how many times did it take to fill the gas can?

Sounds like your just the person to answer the original question!

I'm 64. I can't remember what I had for breakfast, much less how many tips of the hose it took to fill the can 50 years ago. ;lol Looks like time for somebody to take a can to a gas station and empty the hose into the empty can and report back. But I sure wouldn't pay for premium fuel and just pump a gallon. You get the hose full of lower octane and give a hose full that you paid extra for to the next guy.

Ha Ha. LOL
Did the exact same thing. Except it was for filling up my 51 Ford PU, (3 speed on the column) .

Status
Not open for further replies.