Gas stove advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_dude

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Southern WI
Good day gentlemen. I bought a new spec house about 4 years ago. It is 26x40 with a full basement and loft. It had a floor to ceiling stonework on the first floor with a cheap wood/gas fireplace. I replaced that fireplace with a Kozy Heat Z42, which does and excellent job of heating the first floor and loft. The basement however, gets quite cool. Our basement is mostly finished, and we are looking at utilizing that finished area more = family room + toy room for the lad. I'm considering adding a heat source down there that will be able to quickly and efficiently raise the temp down there from upper 50's/low 60's to upper 60's/low 70's when we want to use that space (again, about 1000 square feet). I'm thinking about a propane stove (I don't see taking wood down there nor maintaining 2 wood fires). I know nothing about propane stoves, so I was hoping for some thoughts and recommendations. Thanks!

With 1000 sf to heat & if you're well insulated down there,
I'd say you're gonna need in the 40K BTU input range.
75% efficiency will give you 30K BTU output & that should heat your basement...
Jotul, Regency & Hearthstone make nice looking, reliable
units in this range, but there are others.
What it'll boil down to is what you want to look at, but
I'd start in that range. Smaller stoves make work but they'll work
harder to achieve the same results...

Status
Not open for further replies.