Gas stove not wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Outdoor

Dec 19, 2015
Lee New Hampshire
I posted the following in the "gas forum" but no replies so I thought maybe someone here has reversed the process and could give me some direction. I basically want to use a gas stove as I would a wood stove. I have had a wood stove at everyone of my homes since 1980 so I understand what "really heats better". Also the fact that I'm leaving 40 acres of hardwood and relocating to 5 acres of field and views 20 miles (in case you are wondering why would he do that :)) Here is what I posted:
Ok , building another house and the wife seems to think the days of hauling, cutting, splitting are over. I would have to buy wood at the next location never had to do that before. So if YOU were getting a gas (propane) stove to help heat the house what would you pick and why? The new house will be 2000 sq. ft...time to downsize :) Thanks for all the advise because I have only owned wood stoves..

A friend who was building a new house, He had been burning wood for years and was ready to give it up and use propane. He got a large free standing propane stove. It had a glass front and burned like his old wood stove. I believe it had a remote thermostat and heated the main floor well. The issue after the first year, was he was getting head aches. I didn't know he had purchased a vent less stove. It was way to much burning propane to vent into the house. He has since replaced it with a vented model.

This really belongs in the Gas forum. Be patient for replies. There are many gas stove options. I concur with getting a direct vented model.
Here is one guide from a Hearth.com member that sells some gas stoves.
https://chimneysweeponline.com/gscompha.htm
Online summary of models
http://www.hvac-for-beginners.com/gas-stove-ratings.html

What makes the stove best for you may vary from others. For some it's looks, for others it's how efficiently it heats, for others it could be the flame quality that's most important.

Regardless of choice, insulate the heck out of the new place. Exceed normal standards and seal it well. That will make heating and cooling easier for the life of the house.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.