Gas Stove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpriceisright

Jan 18, 2015
de luz, ca
Thinking about putting in a natural gas stove type direct vent as supplemental heat in a mountain home (@5000 feet at Lake Arrowhead, CA). Currently there is a large rectangular iron hood covering an open gas fire log set that is open on all sides. The hood itself is a serious piece of metal that goes up through the roof and continues to the outside, its hung on 4 large diameter chains bolted to ceiling beams. The existing fire on the other hand looks as though it was cobbled together with just a gas log set sitting on a metal plate. It puts out very little heat but does at least provide a visual flame to watch. The house is 60's construction and the living room end of the house is high ceiling as it goes all the way up to the roof (no attic or second floor) so its kind of like a two story A frame in this room, which is about 24 x 15 and basically the entire end of the house. The house has a central heating (gas furnace under the house), so the living stove will be supplemental rather than primary heat, but I would like to be able to feel some heat out of the stove that goes in. Direct vent gas stove looks like the best option, I will remove the existing set up entirely and put the hearth & stove in the corner, vent through end wall. The night time temperature was around 18 at new years. I was looking at various gas stoves and had the opportunity to pick up a regency C34, which is spec,d at 32k btu / 62.5% efficient.
My question is whether the experienced members here think this will be adequate for this situation given the room size and supplemental heating role . The regency H35, which they class a large heater, does not appear to be that much larger at 36k/68%. thanks. this is my first post but I have enjoyed reading the posts and comments here, seems like a wealth of information. Also is there anything special required for 5000 ft altitude, adjustment or otherwise. I seem to remember some tankless water heaters had special models (adjusted burners I guess) for over 5000 ft. Here's a pic of the room

LRfireplace.jpg

You should be able to download the manual at the Regency web site. It will tell you if any adjustments are required for the altitude.

Regency's website also shows the U39, which goes to 38,000 BTU at 69 percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.