Gas stove to double sided insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sammanthamaxx

Jul 11, 2022
Oroville, California
Hello! I'm buying a house with a giant pop out gas stove sitting on a massive base that I want to remove to gain space in the living room. The vent for it pops through the wall into a sunroom and out the roof. We want to put in an in wall insert but it got me thinking, maybe a double sided would work so the sunroom could have the beauty and heat from it as well. I am attaching photos. Any thoughts would be great!

Screenshot_20220711-055433_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20220711-055414_Samsung Internet.jpg

What’s your budget? Venting will probably not be able to go up inside the wall. My guess is that a double sided vented gas unit installed in an existing wall is a big project. The hearth seams unnecessarily large for a gas stove. How much will you burn it and what will it cost?

The sell double sided ventless gas units but I don’t you will find many recommendations for them from members here.

My route would be new gas stove and hearth teardown and rebuild in the living room and an electric unit in the sun room. I just wouldn’t want to spend lots of money on a gas unit.

I agree the old stove an hearth should go.

There are double-sided gas fireplaces made by several companies. It's up to the budget, but this is possible. Many are wide linear fireplaces. FPX makes the 4415 and Valor makes the L1. These are mostly for the visual show and not for heat. If heat in the sunroom is the goal then consider moving the current stove into the sunroom.

You can put a See Thru fireplace in there. Even if that’s a load-bearing wall, standard framing practices will make it work. I would suggest installing it flush with the inside wall & bump it into the sun room. That way the vent can probably follow the same path thru the roof. I would also suggest framing in the vent to conceal it and give you a cleaner look. There are 30k btu units that will give you heat in both rooms.

Reactions: EbS-P and begreen