Gas to Wood Insert Conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gratefuldad

Apr 15, 2022
Alaska
I want to convert this existing gas fireplace into a wood stove insert. My question is how difficult will it be to make the conversion? I've watched some installations online where the insulated pipe is fed up the existing chimney, but I'm wondering if this retrofit will work with my existing set up that was clearly built for the gas fireplace.

IMG_4114.jpg

Chances are that is a prefab fireplace not an insert. If that is the case it means to switch over to wood you need to tear everything out and start over

How would I be able to clarify whether it is suitable or not (able to convert to wood insert)?
What make and model is your current unit? What does it look like outside?

Note that an insert needs a masonry fireplace.

There are also zero clearance units that might be easier to legally (and safely) install, i.e. with less work.

The flue will need to be redone no matter what for a wood stove.